Finally was able to make a trip down to Groton to do some fishing, it was a late start and not exactly the tide I would have prefered, but launched at Bayberry Lane at about 2:30PM with the Ebb tide.
Headed directly to Little Goshen reef where a couple of weeks ago I saw a lot of birds working and had a couple follows but no hook ups.
When I arrrived the birds were there to greet me, I was throwning a white skitter walker after only a few cast I hook up, figuring small blue but to my surprise it was a schoolie striper. I worked that area for 3 hours with plenty of schoolies to keep me busy, finally as the tide was slowing I get into what I thought was going to be a keeper bass but ended up being a decent blue foul hooked on the side of the head when it struck at my lure. I had switched over to a popper since I did drop a decent fish that took off with the center treble off my skitter walker. Fun stuff fishing top water in the middle of the day. Ended up with one more blue and headed to the launch to pick up site member Nate.
Game plan was to hit the race for the night bite 3 waying bucktails which never happened, when we arrived at Valiant rock there were birds working and it was just about dark, and I dropped down a 8oz diamond jig with just a single hook and instantly was hooked up, that would be the way we fished for the evening boating and losing plenty of blues, no giants small to meduium size, just the way my dogs like to eat em Smile

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Good to hear you got out old timer and a great report to boot. Never saw ya the other day but it sounds like you did better than I did.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 am

Good to hear you got out old timer

You once again have clearly confused me with tbob. I am the youthful handsome one Laughing

You should give little goshen reef a shot, it is certainly within striking distance from where you are launching.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 am

Good report. The schoolies have been pretty consistent in the Goshen area the past two weeks.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links