[quote="aqualung"]Yep, you the man Lung!!! I bow to your awesomeness!!!!

You guys are finally starting to get it! took long enough.

OH BOY..WHAT HAVE WE DONE???

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:38 am

Yes, I' hitting barn tomorrow, so I figured I'd give it a try!

Well Yak master?? How did you do?? Did you catch any fish??

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Still out here!! Got a few scup, and a small fluke so far! Will report more tonight!

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Nice! a real time report!! I like it!! Look forward to your report Go Fish

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Launched at Barn by 9a, headed to the break wall, fished the outer side and got one porgy. Headed to sugar reef, and nothing happening there. Took off to drift off of Misquamicut. Fished depths fro 50ft to 30ft, and got skunked! Headed for Latimer Reef, and nada again! Went back to the break wall, Fished the outer side again, but only lasted 15 minutes there due to no action! Found Lungs White Rock on my GPS, and took off for it. Ended up staying there for a few hours. Got a bunch of small to average porgys there. Had fun with the Aqua View, wile we were anchored there. Saw a few porgys swimming by. Took off from there to try our luck at the inside of the break wall. Got a bunch of hits, but only landed one small fluke. Was back at the ramp by 5ish. All and all a slow day, but still nice to get out!

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Found Lungs White Rock on my GPS

Not my White Rock, I was given info that it was producing fish, I just shared the info.
Misquamicut can be tough unless you get the right wind and tide for a good drift. Did you use squid as suggested for the scup??
What kind of rigs are you using for fluke?? drag? Spro jig? what are you using for bait on them??

Last edited by aqualung on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm

We used squid strips. All the scup we got last year was on squid. Rigs? My own made up rig. Just a three way swivel on the main line "30lb braid", about 15 inches of 50lbs mono with a circle hook. Nothing special, but seems to work ok. Not sure if any of you are using circle hooks, but I'm sold on them. Hooking them is harder, but when you do, every time in the lip!!! Makes it much easier to de-hook one of those stupid skates! Thanks for the info on white rock. I'll be trying there this year.

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:17 pm

My opinion and take it for what it's worth.

I will never use circle hooks on fluke, their mouth is sideways and Boney, I strictly use Kahle hooks.

You have to miss a ton of fish with circle hooks!

Try adding a spearing to your squid strip or a live mummichug (sp)
better known as "bacon and eggs"
If you can catch a Hickory shad and cut that into strips, fresh works awesome.
Or take one of your small keeper fluke and fillet it and take the bottom fillet and cut that into strips, they last forever, you will need a very sharp knife for that, also a strip of Bluefish works great too.

When you don't have much of a drift try jigging right on the bottom with a Spro jig or similar jig tipped with the above mentioned.

What type size hook are you using for the scup??

If the scup are really hitting you can catch them with a small diamond jig with a yellow teaser tube, with no bait at all.

Anyways try some of the above sometime when nothing is working for you.

You had a great day to be out on the water.

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Never hear of it being called Bacon and eggs before! I like it!!! My local bait shop owner, asked me if I wanted him to save his dead shinners. I guess some guys use them instead of spearing. Never tried it, but I do know it works good. I also use bunker and mackerel chunks from time to time. Not sure what size the hooks are for the scup, but there not too small. The main reason I started using the circle hooks is cause of the kids. They seem to cast, put it in the holder, then not pay attention to it. We have had lots of hooks in deep. I have a few boxes on the boat full of lures, jigs and what have you, but they never seem to come out! lol I'm hoping to try new rigs, techniques, and bait this year. Thanks for the info/tips! You are "the man"!!! Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Oh, and everything was caught on my light tackle setups! 7ft med/heavy fresh water ugly sticks, with older 3500 baitrunners. Nothing better than scup on light tackle! Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm not sure 7' medium heavy ugly stick is "Light tackle" for scup, but the scup sure can put up a battle can't they? fiesty little suckers.

Say yes to the dead shiners, they work just as good Wink

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Well, there freshwater poles, and may be just medium action rods, now that I think about it. Yeah, scup are good fighters! The kids love to fish for them. Heck, they taste gooĆ° too!!!! Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links