Fisheries guy explained to me that the angler's guide doesn't list all fishable species, just the ones prevelant enough to target. So the white catfish I caught in pachaug pond is not that uncommon. They just aren't common enough to"advertise"

Posted Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 pm

True indeed. I keep a running tally at work of Connecticut fish species. For fresh and saltwater combined I am around 100 species living in our waters. However, this list includes forage such as Spottail shiner, lost wanderers such as Atlantic cod, and old records like Lake trout (char). I feel the number is still fairly accurate, though, because off my head I have not yet included the likes of any of the flatfishes, gurnards, or the rarely reported Longnose sucker.

How did that catfish fight? Whites have a huge head that can really put the screws to your rod when they get to adult size.

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 am

I didn't measure or weigh the cat, but before I realized what it was I thought it may have been a good sized pike. From memory this cat was in the neighbor hood of 15 - 16 inches although the picture doesn't look it (or it could be my memory playing tricks). I was in a bit of a rush to get the hook out and get it back in the water.

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 am

pramsey

I didn't measure or weigh the cat, but before I realized what it was I thought it may have been a good sized pike. From memory this cat was in the neighbor hood of 15 - 16 inches although the picture doesn't look it (or it could be my memory playing tricks). I was in a bit of a rush to get the hook out and get it back in the water.

common size for white cats is about 18 to 20 inches and weights abut 4 to 5 pounds. Get em alla time at Rocky Hill boat launch. 3" piece of eel on a moderate size hook works just fine!

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:15 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links