anyone use them? I have two Lee's gunnel flush mount holders that are on my 22ft walk around. I'm not sure if it worth getting the rest of the stuff. I will mostly be fishing in or around Fishers Island. I not sure if it's even doable there or not.

Also, what is a basic set up consist of?? I looked at a bunch of sites, but they mostly show and talk about large rigs.

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I have heard of guys that like them, fishing a ledge anchored up and just dropping down the down rigger (salt water).
I have a complete set up for my boat and have yet to use them.
Here's some info that may help.
http://www.bigjon.com/tips/tips.asp?ContentID=2

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks Bob, but I don't mean down riggers. Outriggers are for trolling as well, but not to obtain a certain depth. They are more for widening the stance. I guess there is a less chance of tangling lines up. The high dollar outriggers, you can run multiple line off of.

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 pm

They would prob work good for tube n worm!

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 pm

big difference, I think when I saw

"I looked at a bunch of sites, but they mostly show and talk about large rigs"

I thought downriggers for some reason.

What you going fishing for anyway Elon?? Tuna? Shark?

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:34 pm

[quote]What you going fishing for anyway Elon?? Tuna? Shark?

I have no idea what I would use it for. I generally do not target one specie. Basically, if it bites, I'll reel it in! Very Happy

That is why I'm not sure if I should get the set up. It may not be a usable method in the sound. I know it is used mostly off shore in deep water, but figured I'd ask. I suppose after I get used to the 22ft, I could find my self fishing around Block or somthing.

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 pm

"I generally do not target one specie"

If I may say so myself, if you change that strategy in salt, it may improve your catch big time

Posted Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 pm

your probably right Bob. We just threw squid strips over and reeled in what ever ate it.

Posted Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:31 am

Still thinking about outriggers E ??

I saw these and remembered you may be interested, not sure they would work with your holders

http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/1114165640.html

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks Bob, I'll look into them, but I'm thinking there a tad too big from my boat. I was thinking of a set of 8 to 10 footers.

Hertzy. Very Happy

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links