Online sportsmen
licenses booming

Updated: Saturday, 11 Apr 2009, 10:12 AM EDT
Published : Saturday, 11 Apr 2009, 10:07 AM EDTHartford (AP) - With the fishing season set to start in just days, many bait and tackle shops are not selling fishing licenses for the first time in decades.
One retailer says he can't justify the $1,856 the Department of Environmental Protection is charging for a terminal to sell licenses.
But a Voluntown retailer says he had a busy January selling licenses for ice fishing and expects to be busy as the April 18 start of fishing season nears.
The shops face competition from the state's automated sportsmen licensing system. The DEP's move to the system allows people to buy fishing and hunting licenses through the agency's Web site.

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Bobs place in Dayville is selling licences too. Bob and Tony told me that they too had a great winter. They were busier in January than they were in July. If your close to Dayville, and have never been to Bobs, I suggest going. They are great people who live for fishing. They have a ton of stuff for a small shop. Plans are in the works to expand.

As I like supporting small local shops, I like the new licencing concept. I would rather have the old licences, as the new one feel more like the recites I throw away everyday. However, If I do throw it away by accident, I can go print a new one at any point.

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links