Hello Fellas/Ladies,
Just wanted to put the word out there that the Harbor is pretty strictly inforced by the DEP. Make sure to have you lisence with you if you plan to fish down there, guaranteed you will be asked to show it some where along the line. Also, the regulations for Striped Bass in Connecticut are 2 fish @ 28", per day. Make sure not to keep any undersized fish, they are Federally Protected and the fine for keeping them will well outweigh actually keeping one in the first place. Dont waste your time fishing on the docks at the America on the water wharf marina, you will be kicked off of them and there is word of heafty fines beenig handed out for fishing over there. Lastly dont break the cardinal rule and think that your going to go down there and SNAG you a bunch of Stripers Ive seen many of these so called fisherman get nailed for it. Futhermore it just takes the fun out of it anyways. It is hard not to snag them sometimes because they are so thick but just do you best to catch them in the right end. Im not trying to sound like a Know-it-all but Ive been fishing the harbor fo a solid 15yrs. now and Ive seen alot over the years. So if you go down remember what I have said and have a good time. It is trully an amazing place to fish. If you have any further questions about it feel free to ask.

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:53 pm

I couldn’t agree with you anymore I’ve been fishing the Thames for over twenty five years. When I started fishing this area there was a select maybe half dozen of us die hard core fishermen the river rats that would brave the cold sub zero night to catch a few fish. I guess you could call this harbor and river my second home. This river means more to me than just fishing, it’s a place to meet some great friend and spend valuable time with your family which I have over the years. I wouldn’t trade this way of life for any other so please practice conservation and courtesy, so this valuable resource will be here for many years to come. So to sthilfishing/river rat my hat goes off to you! You are the future. Thanks kiddo

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:45 pm

where can i pick up a freshwater lic? how much are they?

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Way to try and preserve a good thing.

I myself have been there to find that the stripers where so schooled up in a ball not to snag one was a trick in itself.
People who know what's up there know where I'm talking about.

Last time I was down there, boats were packed in that area, almost every fish I saw hooked was a snag.

The guys on my boat suggested I move into position on the outside of the school with hopes of a lip hook.
I was not a popular skipper at that point I refused to even be close to participate in what I saw going on.
I turned the boat around and headed down river to the Montville power plant not to find much happening...maybe next time.
I was hoping to see something down river but saw nothing the entire way...so be it, better than snaggin!

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Well I'm going there Saturday some time. Will be out on my boat for the first time this year. I may put it in at the Montville ramp, and go up stream. I'm not concerned about what size and how many I catch. I never keep any! I have fished the dock twice and had no one ask me anything, of course I did catch anything either, but I was never approached. Guess I got lucky. Well not really as I do have my licence. One thing I noticed, most of the boats were tied up to the marina's docks right across from the ramp. Isn't that the same as standing on them fishing?? I plan on using my new bow mount trolling motor and casting toward the docks. I have no need to tie up to them, but was just curious.

How long is it from the Montville ramp to the harbor? I'm guessing it's about 6 or 7 miles?? Any one use that ramp? Is it decent? I would use the Norwich ramp, but I don't like the idea of leaving my boat to go park my truck in the street.

Hope to run into "well not literally" a few of you guys.

Elon

Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 pm

stihlfishin,knightfishin excellent posts i been fishing there pushing 30 years(god i am getting old ) seen the harbor change,seen alot of guys get nailed from encon met alot of friends,and seen few pass away.aways and of course met some complete idiots.hopeing to meet new friend,and cant really add more from what you guys said

ehertzfeld,i have always like that ramp,and the distance your about right,when you comming up,make sure you stay in the channel,i would hate to hear you took out your lower end on the 2009 maidin voyage
from the launch up to the powerlines,your good.from the powerlines to the rt 2 bridge you got shallow water,mainly sand,from the bridge to norwich you got rocks just under the surface.
you not suppose to tie up to the marina docks,it would be the same

Posted Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 am

jatmmi,you can get them online

https://ct.outdoorcentral.net/InternetSales/

right now its 20.00

Posted Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 am

Well the boys and I made it out today. We launched from Montville and ran up to the harbor. We fished the docks all day, but got nothing!!!!! Mad Not sure what were doing wrong. Never the less, we still had a great day. The engine ran great, and the boat still floats! Very Happy I may have to try to hook up with one of you regulars to teach me how to get one.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:56 pm

how many boats in the harbor hertzy??

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 pm

There were about to 10 other boats. What sucked the most was, being about 5 feet from a guy and his wife, who were caught a few! Sad Mad .

We saw a few guys reel em in. There were all caught around the gas pump dock. They looked to be decent size. Guessing around 15+ inches or so.

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Ya mean the guy in the Bass boat with the blonde chick in the green suits?? Never seen em!

You need to muscle your way in when they are in the docks like that.

I say that but I am the first to say screw it, I don't need the aggravation. I head out and try and find my own bunch of fish that rarely works.

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I didn't pay attention to what they were wearing, I was trying to see what they were using. Now I know that wasn't you. Right??

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Probably looked similar to this generaly speaking

Presentation is the key, if you weren't letting the lure sink to the bottom, that could be a problem.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:49 am

Yep, those zooms with a non colored jig head. We tried at the bottom, and swimming them fast, and slow.

Fish just don't like me! Sad

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:14 am

They probably forgot they wer suppose to do something...............

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:41 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links