I have fished that lake from top to bottom, sounds like you were hitting the wrong areas! I have caught Sturgeon,muskie,pike,bass,carp,walleye,pretty much anything(at all times of the year)! That lake(6th biggest in north america) is one of the countrys hidden gems!

Lake Placid has been decent in my tavelings, it is deff. not setup for boaters, truckers, etc! You have to park far away! I always hit up the diners(outside of lake placid and saranac lake) with ample parking for food. For hotels they must be next to a few spots to eat, drink, be entertained!

There is a lot of small brooks hardly fished there with monster native trout! Great place to go away for a couple weeks!

Posted Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 am

We were doing something wrong for sure. I also heard it was a great fisherie, but not where I was or useing. Perhaps we should have scoped out the deeper water more. Rolling Eyes I'll try it again, but not soon.

Posted Thu May 31, 2007 3:50 am

There is some bays that look like the are full off fish and they are horrible. They only way I know where to go, is because I am from up there! I have a camp on 1! It is a horrible bay, have never caught a fish in it! Good Luck next time, its deff. worth another trip! The Vermont side has some amazing fishing also! Right now from my friends still up there they are having better luck on the VT side!

Posted Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 am

We where on the VT side, but will try the southern end next time around. We had two free nights at a motel in Placid, that was the only reason we where there. Food and company was better outside of town.

Posted Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:03 am

Yeah people in Lake Placid think everyone owes them something! It reminds me of some places in CT!!! Good times! For the most part upstate NY is great! Great customer service, etc. People like to talk up there! Theres not much else to do!

How far North did you go on Lake Champlain! More north than Point Au Roche? I fish Point Au Roche to Cumberland Head a lot, on the NY side and have great success. Lots of Large Mouth bass and Pike! The success is in the bays which are NOT as long as others! The Bass are 15-30 feet from shore a lot!

I will get info. on where my friends are fishing on the VT side and let you know! Its not to far south of Burlington though, I know that much!

Also next time you are by Lake Placid, check out the West Branch of the Ausable River! It has been all over fishing magazines this year! Great trout! I have fished there since a little kid! You can access it off of rt.86!

Lake Champlain can be tough! You can deff. have more productive trips in CT but can't beat the fish in Lake Champlain unless you hit the ocean!

In the deep water there are some crazy fish! Carp and Sturgeon especially! Also some monster walleye! We used to troll for a few hours every time we went out!

I will get you some info and get back to you!

Watch out for Champy also! Lake Champlains version of the Lochness Monster! When I was a kid a Scientific crew from Japan with fleet of boats came here to try and find Champy! One of the conclusions they came up with because they couldnt find him was that a scholl of sturgeon swimming together is big enough to resemble champy!!

Good times, good times!

Posted Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:20 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links