I was contacted this afternoon by a captain from the Hel-Cat II who said there was a killer cod bite off of block island.

I am putting this out there for anyone interested in a good cod trip. If the bite continues to be excellent the Hel-Cat II will be running to block island this weekend to partake in the carnage. If all goes according to plan I assume there will be two trips this Saturday February 7 for sure and if we have the customers and the fish are still cooperating Sunday the 8th as well. The cost of the trip is 80 dollars and the boat leaves the dock at 6am and returns at 4pm. Bait is included in the fare rental tackle is $5 a rod and there is a galley onboard that sells an assortment of food. Make sure you get there for 5:30!

If you have any questions you can post or send them to me or if you have any questions about the boat check out the re-vamped website at http://www.helcat.com/

I will definitely be there

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Matt, make sure you let us know how you guys do this weekend.
Good Luck!!!

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:04 pm

skipperj9 i been keeping my eye on the weather they are saying 45deg for sunday. if we do have good weather i might go depending if i have enough money for the boat and gas.

but my quetion is what are guys using for rigs i have a 16oz jig but im not to familiar on how to use it i normaly fish with 16oz weight and 2 hooks baited with clams. this is what i used on al guarons boat in new hampire when i went. but if you guys use something diffrent can you let me know ill hit cabelas before sunday.

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39 pm

I was trying to post some pictures of the popular Norwegian jig that is very effective on Cod.

There is what they call a Lav jig, but you won't find that in any store around here.

A diamond jig will work too. If the fish are feeding heavy on herring, most any jig will work.

A teaser is common to use also, that is attached to a dropper loop about 18" above the jig, not necessary, but probably will improve your catch for the day. I can give you more info on these if you are interested.

As for jigging technique, I will tell you what works best for me...people have their own techniques so to each their own.
I drop the jig to the bottom, reel up a couple turns..then bring the rod in an upward motion, not real fast at a medium pace, and allow the jig to free fall, and keep doing the same thing.
There will be guys jigging around you...just watch what the guy is doing that's catching fish

I use an 18oz and it works for most situations, sometime you can go lighter 12-14oz Wink

When the bite stops on jigs...bait may be the way to go at that point.

Posted Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:12 pm

reel_emin

I will be there sunday, I will post a report tomorrow night and let you know how we do. If you end up needing something or need advice I'll be there to help you out or lend you rigs. Just let me know if your going.

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm not going to make it for Sundays trip.I checked the weather they said 20-35mph winds ssw that's not my type of fishing Anne having a good time. Todays weather is perfect 5-10mph winds I wish I could predict the weather I would have taken today off instead of tommorrow from work. This sucks I was looking forward to going. I guess I will hope for good weather next Sunday.

Posted Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am

Quick and sweet

We did ok today, a lot of inexperience, some uncooperative fish, we managed to get about 60-70 cod for about 70-75 people

For those who knew what they were doing such as aqualung, got some fish, for the inexperienced, no dice, unless they got lucky on bait.

More of a report to come from outside sources, I will be out there tomorrow fishing instead of working hopefully and will see anyone else there.

Posted Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:14 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links