I've never tried it, I don't know of anyone personally that I can bug them abt taking me with them to experience it, either. So how hard is it to go it alone? ( of course my BF would be there lol, to cut the ice...or drill or whatever you do..) What kind of tools am I looking for, how thick should the ice be, what kind of poles and bait am I using for this, and JUST HOW LUCRITIVE WILL MY FISHING EXPEDITION BE?????? Question

Any tips would be great! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Where are you located??

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:43 pm

NE CT...Putnam area...I prefer to catch and keep so some nice clean waters is preferred Smile

ty for the reply!

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm

no problem, maybe I can suggest a couple things.

Not too far from pomfret are you??

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:52 pm

nope, only abt 5-10 mins away. I tend to go to Thompson dam a lot too, great fishing there, huge carp there, always a lot of lmb's and I'm still out to get the brown trout that got away from me almost 2 years ago Sad ...its the big one that got away but I had minimal exp at the time. I've seen Thompson's got thick ice in the winter b4, have seen people out there I assume fishing but it was a few yrs back, U been there? And whats in Pomfret? Smile

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm

What's in Pomfret you ask??
Well if you don't have any plans tonight...this sounds like it is just perfect for you.

DEP Family Ice Fishing Class ~ Pomfret
Friday, January 16, 2009
7:00pm – 9:00pm
CT Audubon Society in Pomfret Center
189 Pomfret Street, Pomfret, CT

FREE of charge
Certified CT DEP Fisheries instructors
Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
Pre Registration required
For registration or more information call: Call (860) 928-4948

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Smile Smile Thank you very much!! I hope I can rearrange my schedule to make it, if not, Sad , is there any other dates they will be holding this? I'd like to take my boyfriend, but he's working.

Either way, tysvm for your help! Smile

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 pm

No problem glad to help if I can...that's what a site like this is for.
If you look under the ice fishing forum..and scroll down you will see what classes are remaining.
That was just a coincidence that it was tonight in Pomfret.
I, plus, I'm sure lot's of people here will be happy to help you get started.
I missed some of you questions before, I was trying to get that info to you quick because it was happening tonight

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Yes, it is coincidence its tonight, and unfortunately I can't make it Sad BUT, I will take up on checking out other forums for info, and class info. If you're going tonight, I wish the best, have fun Smile and I hope to definately catch (lol) you there sometime!

ty!!

p.s. I've been meaning to tell you too, thats quite the catch you're holding in the pic Smile good job!

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 pm

lol...I'm not going..I have a few years under me belt being on the ice.
But I'm sure they cover some info that could be helpful, I'm just a bit too far.

It sounds like it would be a good refresher, or for the beginner.

Still in the deciding mode where to go tomorrow, talked to my bud and it may be Mansfield Hollow.

You may want to take a ride with your boyfriend tomorrow and check out some lakes, I'm sure people will be ice fishing...walk out and talk to them, and ask a few questions.

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 pm

LOL well I kinda figured you have some exp! I was thinking you were going to be one of the teachers Razz anyhow, my other half works weekends so sat&sun are out, so hopefully we can check it out this week. We're both chomping at the bit for fishing, so we're tempted to go check out the Quinebaug over on the Plainfield/Canterbury line, under the bridge. The trout hatchery is just a few miles up the river Wink so you know what I'm thinking! But thats moving water, soooo we may head over to Thompson, I HOPE, check for ice..and people..weekdays may be hard to find folks out but we'll see. In the meantime, do you know if Bigelow Hollow is any good? Been there once, and got nothing. Maybe I'm missing something? lol

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 pm

aqualung

Still in the deciding mode where to go tomorrow, talked to my bud and it may be Mansfield Hollow.

If you do go to Mansfield, let me know, I'll take a ride over to say hello. Don't think I'll stay to fish, but your going to be too close not to say hi.

punkin, I live right down the road in Brooklyn, I never have iced fished ether, but am thinking more and more about trying it. If I do go, I'll get a hold of you through this sight.

Elon

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Ty for the reply, Elon. That sounds wonderful , if you ever go, let me know, hope to set something up, but I don't have any proper equipment I.E. drill for ice(?) do we need certain type of pole?? Let me know along the way whatever you know, if possible. In the meantime stay in touch and ty again. Smile

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:50 pm

You two should go to the Thames river in Norwich for stripers.

I'm not much of a trout guy, so I like the stripers.

I would fish Mashapaug before Bigelow. Ice fishing opens up a whole new world because you are not stuck on the bank if you don't have a boat.

Elon, right now it looks like I will probably be there at Mansfield.
I wear the Blue ice suit you see in some of my pictures. But a lot of guys have the same suit. I'm not sure where we will be since it will be a first for me there.

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 pm

well, looks like I'll have to invest in a stronger pole...any suggestions on a somewhat inexpensive but sturdy one for stripers? I went once to try at the marina in Norwich, HOWEVER, lol, no bites for me on my lil ugly stick ( I'm such a rookie) and a couple guys there were using rather large fishing poles and they were using live fish abt 6-8" long as bait. I still want to try it. and I gotta check out Mashapaug. I was pretty disappointed in Bigelow.

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:59 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links