House Passes Deficit Plan, Senate To Consider

By AMANDA RAUS

Updated 11:00 PM EDT, Tue, Apr 13, 2010

The state House of Representatives approved a $480 million plan to cover this year's budget deficit.
The bill had supporters on both sides of the aisle and passed on a vote of 147 to one. It does not include raising taxes or making cuts to municipal aid. Instead, it uses the state's rainy day fund, deferment of the state's pension plan and federal funding to tackle the $350 million deficit.
Many lawmakers say it's a step in the right direction.
"We took a little piece of a very huge problem and we solved it in a bipartisan way without raising taxes and without cutting municipalities," House Minority Leader Rep. Larry Cafero said.
House Speaker Chris Donovan echoed the statement saying, "It was a good day. We needed to finish up the budget we had passed in late August. There was a little bit of a hole, but we got all sides together and patched it up."
The bill also lowers state park fees and licenses for hunting and fishing. It increases fees on DMV traffic violations like speeding and not wearing a seatbelt.
The legislation now heads to the state Senate for consideration.

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 am

Do park and license fees drop back this year or not until next year?

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 am

April 13, 2010 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Larry Perosino (860) 240-0144

REP. HURLBURT ANNOUNCES ROLLBACK OF PARK FEES & HUNTING, FISHING LICENSES
Reduction part of $480 million plan to close 2010 budget deficit
State Representative Bryan Hurlburt, who represents Ashford, Tolland and Willington in the Connecticut General Assembly, announced a major rollback of last year’s doubling of fees charged by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) for state parks and campgrounds, as well as hunting and fishing licenses.

The fee rollback was contained in a $480 million deficit mitigation plan approved by the House of Representatives to balance the state budget for fiscal year 2010.

Hurlburt said the previous years 100% increase on park fees, hunting and fishing licenses will be rolled back to only 35%. For example, a resident inland waters sport fishing license will fall from $40 to $28, resident firearms hunting license will fall from $28 to $19, combination inland fishing and firearms hunting from $56 to $38. The fees were originally doubled as a way to help close the state budget deficit, but Hurlburt said the increase placed an unfair burden on sportsmen. Approximately 180,000 Connecticut residents pay these fees each year.

“I am thrilled we were able to get a fee rollback provision into this important budget bill,” said Hurlburt, who serves as Vice-chair of the Legislature’s Environment Committee. “Everyone is being asked to share in the burden of closing their state’s budget deficit, but from my perspective the bull’s-eye on the sportsmen was a bit severe.”

In order to cover the revenue loss from the fee rollback, increased Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) fines for violators, such as the minimum fine for speeding, will increase from $ 3 5 to $50. Seat belt violations, which have not increased since 1985, would go to $50 from $15.

Hurlburt said the DEP fee reductions would go into effect as soon as the Governor signs the legislation into law – hopefully in time for the start of Connecticut ’s fishing season and the state parks’ busy summer season.

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I guess for those of us who icefish and needed a 40 dollar license we lose!

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:46 am

Damn! I never even ice fished. I just drank and still got screwed for getting my license early..

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links