Instead of working because of a surplus of people today I was able to go out and enjoy myself. We fished off Montauk today and at least for me the fishing was very good. One of the other off duty mates and myself were able to jig up a dozen cod and about two dozen hake between us. The hake came on clam bait fished on high low rigs in about 150 feet of water. All the cod with the exception of one came on Norwegian Jigs from 9 to 18 ounces and yellow-chartreuse teasers. I jigged up about 8 or 9 cod myself with a throwback in the mix. The biggest one was about 13 pounds on the scale and most of the others were right behind it with the exception of 2 that were a little smaller. We stayed on the anchor all day, it wasn't as rough as expected and the wind shifted towards the afternoon but there was a heavy heave. The Hel-Cat is sailing every weekend until june weather pending.

Here are some pics for all to look at. Even those that are too good for the Hel-Cat and fish on the Frances Fleet!

By the way the cod bite is all over, there weren't no dang cod caught this weekend!

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Nice report and pics!That was a totally unnecessary low blow skippy!I had a Friday window to fish and you guys didnt sail that day.A group of 4 of us from work wanted to go fish and we even got paid for it.I had never tried the FF before or the Helcat.I will give you a try sometime.You def caught some decent fish.Congrats!Now you finally can insert a new avatar even!Poco maybe thurs,u interested if we go?

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Now I see why I got the call " You screwed up"
I felt like sleeping

Although you are showing a 2 man catch for the day, which is certainly not a bad catch for

Those are a couple nice ones you're holding for sure. Too bad you two guys didn't catch those Razz

Great to see you got into them better than we did Sat.
Way to stick em!

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:11 pm

In all honesty tbob, its been a really good year for cod down here, guys that know what they're doing have been getting cod on our weekend trips since we started sailing which was a late start because of weather, we were set back a few weeks. The hake bite is really good too. Like I think I said, we got about two dozen between us and I think they're good eats. A little different than cod but the same white flaky meat. I would think those would be a sure shot for a few weeks anyways, as long as we're fishing off montauk. For those baits the way to go. I'll have to take some pictures of hake the next time I go out. Hopefully the bite stays on for a few weeks, I'll keep you guys updated as to whats going on, I know I wont be going out this weekend but the following Saturday for sure.

Check out www.helcat.com reports section for a few more pictures.

Tbob, I dont know about thursday, I have to see what the weather is going to be like. I definitely plan on getting out that day, I'm just not sure what I'm going to target, the ole lady might be coming out with me. I am definitely interested, I'll keep you posted on what my plans are but I cant say "Count me in" just yet

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 pm

No prob....I am waiting to see what happens also.I see you took my advise,nice avatar!!!

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links