Keeping a fly rod clean and nice-looking is not a difficult task, nor does it take a lot of time.
The cork grip on a fly rod generally needs the most attention, because it can really become dirty over time. Just the natural body oil from our hands can cause a grip to become soiled rather quickly. And add to that, fish slime, floatants, sunscreen, and numerous other items that often come in contact with our hands while fishing, which can build up layers of dirt and grime. I have tried several different types of soaps and mild chemicals to clean cork grips, including dish detergent, tooth paste, alcohol, hand soap, household bleach, spray cleaners, and several other things. Most of these work pretty well, but the one I like the best is liquid household cleanser. One such product is "Soft Scrub Cleanser with Bleach." It not only cleans a soiled grip quickly and effectively, but it helps to bleach-out any dark blemishes in the cork, as well as lighten the cork back to its original color. Having used this product for many years, I can attest to the fact that it does not harm the grip in any way when properly used. Here's how it's done:
First, assemble all the items you will be using, including the rod, the cleanser, a sponge or old wash cloth, and a clean, dry towel. Also, have something to protect your clothing from any splashes of the bleach containing cleanser. Any drops that get onto your clothing will have a permanent bleaching effect that will end up as a white spot.
Work at the kitchen sink with a small stream of warm running water. Wet the grip under the tap, apply a quarter-size blob of cleanser to your dampened sponge or wash cloth (be sure to shake the bottle of cleanser well before using), and scrub-down the cork grip. Scrub the cork thoroughly, starting at one end of the grip and working towards the other end. As you work, avoid rubbing the metal hardware and wood spacer on the reel seat, as well as the finish on the blank. Scrubbing those shiny surfaces can cause light permanent scratches, so keep the cleanser off those parts as you work.
After the grip has been thoroughly cleaned, wash it off under the stream of running water, rubbing it well with your fingers to remove all traces of the cleanser. Then dry the grip and with a soft clean terry cloth towel and set it aside to dry thoroughly before putting it back into its case. When dry, the grip will be clean and look almost new again.[/size][/size][/size]

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 am

Nice advice. I've heard of washing the fly line but never the rod. I will have to check this out. Less expensive than a new rod! (although those are nice too )

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:49 pm

i use furniture polish on my rods,spray alittle on a soft rag and wipe down the rod and eyelets.its unbelieveable how much dirt stick to the rod itself

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links