Despite rescue, entangled osprey succumbs
By Noelle Frampton
STAFF WRITER
Updated: 08/04/2009 12:19:29 AM EDT

MILFORD -- Firefighters rescued a fledgling osprey that became entangled Saturday in fishing line in its own nest near Gulf Pond.

But the injured bird lived only two hours after its rescue, Animal Control Officer Rick George said Monday.

"Unfortunately in these jobs, we win some and we lose some," he said. "It wasn't through lack of valiant efforts."

The rescue was launched after officials got a report of an osprey in distress near Shadyside Lane. Two firemen hiked through the marsh and one scaled a ladder held by the other to reach the osprey, which was hanging upside down from the nest, its leg entangled in the line, according to an e-mail from Battalion Chief Gary Baker.

The osprey, a fish-eating bird of prey often called a sea hawk, "appeared to have an injured leg," Baker wrote. A firefighter carried the bird to shore for treatment.

Animal control officers took the injured fledgling to a licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility, but it died a short time later, George said.

"It was in tough shape," he said, adding that one of the parent ospreys may have used the fishing line to construct the nest.

"Please watch your fishing lines. If you lose your fishing line, do your best to recoup it. Every year we get more and more animals caught up in it," George said.

For birds, hanging upside-down "is extremely traumatic on their system -- especially something young," he said.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:12 am

I'm not the biggest fan of birds but people need to take out what they took in. Litter of any kind make me mad when I'm fishing in a nice place.

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:19 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links