Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection
DEP Marine Fisheries News
Declaration of Regulation Change

March 26, 2010

Under authority of Sections 26-25 and 26-159a of the Connecticut General Statutes and Section 26-159a-22 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, the Commissioner of Environmental Protection is authorized to establish or adjust, by declaration, closed seasons, length limits, creel limits, trip limits and trip limit adjustment values in order to meet the harvest level for efficient management and to comply with interstate fishery management plans adopted by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC).

In accordance with the aforementioned authority, the following changes in Department SPORT FISHING regulations will be effective during 2010:

BLACK SEA BASS
Minimum Size: [12] 12.5 inches excluding the tendril (long filament on the tail).
Creel Limit: 25 fish.
Open Season: [Year Round] May 22 through September 12.

SCUP ON PARTY/CHARTER VESSELS
Minimum Size: 11 inches.
Creel Limit: [10 fish from June 12 –Aug 31 and 45 fish from Sep 1 – Oct 15]
10 fish from June 8 through Sept 6, and
40 fish from Sept 7 through Oct 11.
Open Season: [June 12 – Oct 15] June 8 through October 11.

SCUP ON PRIVATE VESSELS AND FROM SHORE
Minimum Size: 10.5 inches.
Creel Limit: 10 fish.
Open Season: May 24 through September 26.

SUMMER FLOUNDER
Minimum Size: 19.5 inches.
Creel Limit: 3 fish.
Open Season: [June 15 – Aug 19] May 15 through August 25.

WEAKFISH
Minimum Size: 16 inches.
Creel Limit: [6] 1 fish.
Open Season: Year Round.

WINTER FLOUNDER
Minimum Size: 12 inches.
Creel Limit: [10] 2 fish.
Open Season: April 1 through May 30.

These adjustments are being made in compliance with the requirements of the ASMFC Fishery Management Plans for these species. Black sea bass, scup, weakfish and winter flounder adjustments have been made in coordination with either regional or coastwide partner states. Summer flounder are being managed on a state by state basis in 2010. A 35% increase in the coastwide recreational harvest limit, coupled with this state staying within its individual harvest target in 2009 made the 35 day expansion to the open season in 2010 possible.

For further information, contact the DEP Marine Fisheries Division by email at dep.marine.fisheries@ct.gov, by mail at P.O. Box 719, Old Lyme, CT 06371 or by telephone at 860.434.6043 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

BLACK SEA BASS
Minimum Size: [12] 12.5 inches excluding the tendril (long filament on the tail).
Creel Limit: 25 fish.
Open Season: [Year Round] May 22 through September 12.

this one has me confused! how can you a year round season from may22 through september 12?????????????

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:22 am

Anything in brackets is old regulation, it was in red but when I copied it, it came out black. Black sea bass are no longer year round and 12.5 min length

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:26 am

ahhhhh got it!

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 am

TWO winter flounder?? Not worth the gas to get to the ramp. We've messed up that fisherie.

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 am

lundrunner

TWO winter flounder?? Not worth the gas to get to the ramp. We've messed up that fisherie.

Really just close it already! It's messed up but I have a hard time believing and don't believe it was the recreational guy who messed it up, but is paying the price.

I was talking to a guy out of Mass on our last cod trip, who fishes up in Mass, he says no shortage of winter flounder up there, catches them up to 7lbs, I asked him again to be sure I heard 7 pounds correctly and said that's correct

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 am

Thats right Lung, it wasn't us. Might be worth a trip just to prove how many are around ct. I'll try stoneington on a monday that it doesn't rain. You have to wonder who they listen to when they pass these things. Not the fisherman.

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links