It seems to me that there is an increase in relatively young pickerel in Hanover Pond, as well and a decline in smaller bass. Wondering if anyone else has been catching them. Hanover is small and shallow, with limited structure, and I worry that increased pickerel is going to have a significant impact on the bass population. I know well intentioned morons try to conduct their own stocking programs (as one guy told me he and his buddy release fish into Hanover), but such good intentions have led to the Asian carp nightmare throughout the South and Mississippi River system, as well as screwing up numerous lakes and ponds. Don't know how long the pickerel have been in there, as I haven't caught them before, nor I have seen any really big ones. Just wondering if other guys might have some more info.

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 am

The pickerel were probably already there, they are native here in almost every body of water. All of New England actually. The 2 species usually co exist without any problems, there may just be too many bass to sustain a healthy population. Like you said there is very little cover which bass need to thrive and grow large. Back in Mass we had a favorite small lake we would go to to just catch a butt load of bass. Not one was ever over 1 pound.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:00 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links