After having a trip canceled on me a couple times I was finally able to get out Cod fishing with the assistance of tbob55.
We met up at 12:45 AM to make the trip to Lynne Mass, tbob55 was kind enough to drive.
Boat sailed at 4 sharp, it was a 3 hour steam out, had something to do with a demarcation line, I'm not sure of the exact details.
Weather was great, it was cool and breezy the sky clear, sea's were calm.
The day started slow, I mean real slow. For at least 2 -2 1/2 hours I don't think more than a half dozen fish came over the rail. We had done some drifting and some anchoring.
We hit a couple spots on anchor and caught a couple fish but it would die off quickly.
tbob55 and myself discussed that if we could drift through this area we might do better, the captain positioned the boat to anchor, we made our suggestion to the mate that was going to drop anchor and after a couple hand signals from the mate to the captain, and we began our drift. That is when the fishing finally turned on, seemed if you had some knowledge of how to jig for cod, once you got to the bottom you would hook up pretty quickly. Fishing went from very poor to awesome very quickly. Both tbob and I had fish coming over the rail steady, tbob had 2 doubles, there were shorts mixed in as well.
No large fish were caught, mostly nice market size cod, if I'm not mistaken the pool winner was 18 lbs
This went on for 3 hours I would guess and for whatever reason we needed to move from our location, and from that point we were right back to catching nothing for the last 1 1/2 hours of fishing.
Overall the trip was great, good weather, good people and plenty of fillets to skin when I got home. It started slow and ended slow, but we caught fish!
In my opinion, Norwegian jig, with a Blue teaser seemed to be a good combo.
Some pictures of the day

Cabin on the way out

Sunrise

Anglers including tbob55

Whales

Wolffish

Our catch of cod

Posted Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Nice report and pics!Had a blast out there as usual.Hope you do as good or better this Friday.I prob will be doing one more trip in May.

Posted Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links