I am headed for some special trout fishing in Virginia on Tuesday 4-6 through 4-10. Will be fly fishing the Mossy River and the Rose River in the Trophy Catch & Release Sections. Fish average 18-20 inches, but plenty of fish that can weigh upwards of 6 pounds. These rivers are protected and managed for large rainbows and browns and the number of rods are limited each day.
Fished the Mossy 2 years ago in June. Phenomenal! All trout caught on dry flies.
Looking forward to a great trip. Will post report and photos upon return.

Posted Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:29 am

sounds like alot of fun,have a great trip,look forward to your report,and pics.hopfully its drier down there,lol

Posted Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Returned from a great trip to fly fish a couple of streams in western Virginia. Both the Mossy and the Rose River's are private fish for fee waters that offer excellent catch & release fly fishing. The Mossy is managed for primarily brown trout. Most fish averaged about 18 inches, with good numbers in the 20 to 24 inch range. I saw many larger fish that turned their noses up at my flies. Most fish were caught on nymphs, and a few were taken a caddis dries. The Rose River is managed for rainbow trout and some wild brrok trout. Fish averaged 16 to 18 inches with some real beasts over 24 inches. Nymphs and dries worked well. The rainbows are from a Kamloop strain and proved this with their jumping ability... phenomenal !
I posted a few photos of fish on my profile page.

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:57 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links