My inlaws have a summer house on lake Hitchcock, in Wolcott that I have been fishing in the summers and I have got to say that every time I go out I catch lots of fish. I wish the lakes in Jersey were that productive. During my recent trip I took the boat out at 5:45 am and saw schools of baitfish swarming the surface they were brown with a metallic shine to them, I caught some lunkers chasing the baitfish, but when I pulled out the ultra light with a shad spoon to see what the fishies where I failed to catch one but caught bass and perch instead (im not complaining) does any one know what kind of baitfish we are dealing with here?

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Probably Pacific herring, or surf smelt....or even smackrel Laughing
GREAT avatar!!
I can't really help, most all bait fish have a darker back, might be able to find a chart on the web here though of ct bait fish/forage fish

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds like a common golden shiner. that would be my guess. need some help fishin that lake Laughing ill be happy to help!!!

Posted Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks aqualung..I love my avatar too but not more than I like beer lol....apcllc..I should have thought of that thank you...as a matter of fact they did look exactly like golden shiners I just havent seen one in years let alone schooling and feeding on the surface like that. I will be in CT a few times during the summer keep in touch.

Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links