I was thinking about switching to braided. any cons I should know about before i go spend 15$?

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:19 pm

I use Braid on all my set ups, salt and fresh. I use it cause of two kids and a wife who aren't the best at casting. Smile you save a lot of tackle being able to pull a lure of out of the trees.

typical braid is allot more sensitive than mono. For live bait, it's a must have. You can feel the smallest nibble. How many times have you used a worm as a kid, reel it in and your worm is gone? This won't happen with braid. Braid will not stretch like mono either, and it has no memory. It will "dry out" and get brittle. So you will need to replace it after a few years.

Now if your going to cast lures, this gets tricky. With braid, you have to keep the line tight. If you have any slack in the line, you will get loops in reel. This will cause problems wile casting the time.

I would try it on one set up first and try it. Braid is more expensive so if you only switch one set up, and don't like it, it's not going to kill your wallet.

Good luck and I hope I gave you so good info.

Elon aka hertzy

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:05 am

same thing here. Braid on most of my salt rods and half of my freshwater. Not good for dropshoting or poppers.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:56 am

berkley fireline braid is the best for a baitcaster but i like the berkley fireline fused for my spinning rods.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:25 pm

thanks for the info guys.

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 pm

my personal favoritebraided line is Sufix Braid..it has a tighter weave than Powerpro and tends to hold its color longer.. im happy with it in just about every application. ive never noticed it affecting poppers excepy you have to reel in the slack more than with mono.. i only use mono for leaders around sharp toothed critters like pickerel and pike because braid can be sliced easier. its tensile strength is worlds better though in all brands ive tried.

Posted Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 am

Braid casts nice and is sensitive but,for fish like trout or stripers use a flourocarbon leader on the end of it for more hook ups.Fish can see that braid.I also use a barrel swivel to attach leader. less wind nots or problems with braid. I like the power pro .

Posted Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:31 am

barrel swivel is a must if using a spinning reel gotta agree with the wiggler. I love it on my baitcaster more you dont really need the swivel.

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 pm

I only use spinner bait on my bait caster, and I tie them on. I will tie on any type of Popper as well. The swivel messes up the action.

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:51 am

i normally dont even use swivels with my spinners..everyone says it generates line twist but i find with braid that isnt much of an issue..not like with mono. i just tie it on directly. it does waste line , but i find a swivel doesnt help the action much ubnless its BB..and i dont have cash to waste on those.maybe if i was trolling it would matter more, but i dont have a boat.

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:23 pm

some guys swear by power pro, i have had nothing but problems with it so i stay away from it... why bother spooling up with 20 dollars worth of line to only strip it all off..... berkely fire line and suffix braid i use with no problems.. tying direct is the way to go unless using a leader then use a barrel swivell

Posted Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

I use power pro, I use it because of the large #test and small dia. It cast great and I like the it pulls through thick weeds cuts like a knife.

Posted Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Have used power pro for several years on my spinning and conventional reels, I think it's great.
I use a fluoro leader on my spinning reels, mono top shot. On my ground fishing conventionals I tie both direct to prevent any damage to the rod tip.
I recall having many more issues, with birds nest etc with mono, when I was using it

Posted Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links