I would like to give crabbing a try this year. Anyone here do it on a regular basis, and is successful? I have a small 14' boat I can use if need be. Any recommendations?? Are they catching them now?? Any good areas from Old Saybrook to Stonington?

Posted Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 am

i cant tell you too much on crabing but i can tell you i have 10 lobster pots in westbrook and i do pretty good there are some good crab over there. what kind of trap are you using? a tip i heard for crabing is buy a whole chicken and let it sit out for a day and the decompision of the chicken gives off more smell in the water thus more crab

Posted Tue May 29, 2007 12:47 pm

Agualung,

If you would like to send me a PM, I'de be more than happy to give you some suggestions and even maybe hook up with you to show you some tricks and where to go.

I will say this, crabbing can be very good some years and not so good others. Last year was decent, and hopefully this year will be much better.

Feel free to drop me a line.

Ned AKA MoalboalDiver

Posted Tue May 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Looks like we had an easy winter, so hopefully the crabbing will be good. I do miss the 25-30 crab outings.

Posted Thu May 31, 2007 3:52 am

Bryon...thanks I was hoping to use a net instead of a trap, Ned I will shoot you a PM. Lundrunner sounds like you have crabbing under control. You guys use nets or traps?

Posted Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 am

I like to use chicken wings and a net off the boat. I usually go Branford River, but it's been real slow these past three years.

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:12 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links