Staycation costs have some staying put
Updated: Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 4:33 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 4:33 PM EDT

Story by: Tina Detelj
(WTNH) - The theory that a staycation could save you some cash is about to change. From fishing to camping, fees for many Connecticut activities are about to go up come October 1st.

When gas prices rose, staycations were all the rage. But staying closer to home to have fun is about to get more expensive.

"$30? I didn't know it was going that high. That's steep," said camper Al Jelenik.

Fees for camping at State Parks like Rocky Neck will double October 1st under the newly approved state budget.

"I'm sure Social Security is not going to go up to offset that," said Jelenik.

Camping, hunting and fishing fees, including freshwater licenses, will go from $20 to $40 while the new Marine Waters License, just in effect for a couple of months, could triple to $30.

"I think it's gonna cut down on the amount of them buying licenses; they're gonna take their chances and go without them," said Bob Chapel of Bob's Rod and Tackle.

Henry Rusczczyk will pay the higher price. "Unfortunately I love it so yes," he said.

But Rusczczyk wants to know what he's going to get for his money.

"Are the ramps gonna get better? Are they gonna take care of the outhouses and things of that sort?" he asked.

If you go on a charter fishing boat you don't need a license but the captain does.

"They're killing us, they're killing us," said Captain Joe Garofano of Good Company II.

Capt. Garofano said his cost will jump from $250 to $500 a year.

"It's gonna put a lot of people out of business," he said.

And these costs could keep some campers home.

"Double? I don't think we'd come back again," said camper Pat Sweet. "It is [unfortunate] because we love it here; it's one of our favorite parks."

If you want to camp next summer at the summer's rates all you have to do is make your reservations by October 1st before the rates rise. The state takes reservations 11 months in advance.

"We paid the $15 instead of double. I don't want to pay double," said camper Jackie Landry.

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links