yep,lol

welcome to connecticut the tax and fee state

Posted Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 pm

This is so ridiculous, they want people to get license but yet every year they keep reducing the creel limit of fish. As might as well buy fish from the store.

cenrique

Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 pm

This all started when Reagan began raising taxes on State and Federal parks. Soon, everyone else took the bait.

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 pm

slimtempo

This all started when Reagan began raising taxes on State and Federal parks. Soon, everyone else took the bait.

Rolling Eyes

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks for the instant message support! I agree with Benjamin Franklin ... "There Are No Small Enemies". The sooner we deal with the Tax and Spend philosophy of the early 80's administration the better. Problem is, it has morphed into the Hydra so much that the present White House needs to raise money for sins of the past eight years. Mad

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Fishing registry the right choice

Connecticut Post Staff
Updated: 06/10/2009 05:11:21 PM EDT

Saltwater fishermen say they're unhappy with a national registry set to go into effect next year. Their complaints are valid, but misguided. Starting in 2010, federal law requires all saltwater fishermen in the U.S. to be registered, whether they fish from a boat or from shore. In most states, the registration includes an annual fee of $10 to $25.
At the close of the state Assembly's regular session, Connecticut lawmakers approved a state registry, approving a bill that charges $10 to $15 for saltwater fishing licenses.
Experts say it's a necessary step because no one knows how many saltwater fishermen are out there or what they're catching. They do know that many popular saltwater fish have seen huge depletions in population. This is a way to gather information to protect against overfishing.
The federal law is in place. The state statute simply means that Connecticut will run the registry and accept the proceeds, rather than Washington. The money will help pay for administrative costs and services, such as public land acquisition for fishing.
Estimates as to the number of recreational fishermen in this country run from about 15 million to 25 million, accounting for about 250 million pounds of fish per year. That's a lot of fish, but it's almost trivial compared to the 9.4 billion pounds commercial fishermen catch. However, recreational fishermen grab enough popular Northeastern species, including striped bass and bluefish, to endanger their
populations.
The only way to keep track today is a phone survey that reaches a fisherman on one out of about 20 calls, officials say. Better, more accurate numbers will mean better protection for endangered fish populations, along with more money to purchase public land.
It's a long-accepted fact that hunters and freshwater fisherman need to register and pay a fee to go about their business. Something about the vastness of the ocean has apparently led people to think saltwater ought to operate under different rules, but it's all of a piece.
It's a nominal fee, and it serves a legitimate public purpose. It's an example of the state getting something right.

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:46 am

The Bite Is on—Connecticut Anglers Hooked by a Saltwater Fishing LicensePosted by Shore Publishing on Jun 10 2009, 03:02 PM
Filed under: captain morgan, fishing
With plenty of warning but no notice to anglers, the governor signed the bill creating a Marine Fishing License on June 3—effective June 15. All anglers fishing in Long Island Sound (shore or private vessel) and up to the first road bridge spanning any tidal river will be required to have one. Literally, within minutes of the signing, new licenses were being sold to stunned anglers just informed of the news.

Anglers shopping for gear at Captain Morgan’s when the call came figured it best to jump on board rather than rushing around at the last minute. Emotions ranged from supportive to shock to “expletive deleted.” Most felt that a marine fishing license was inevitable, but also thought if passed there would be a phasing in period. The haste by which anglers are required to comply was a principal objection.

There is reciprocity built into legislation with adjoining states. To date, New York’s becomes effective Oct. 1 and will recognize Connecticut Marine Fishing Licenses, but only within the borders of Long Island Sound (LIS). New Hampshire has passed one also, but Rhode Island and Massachusetts have yet to act. Individuals under 16 are exempt as are anglers aboard Connecticut-registered party/charter boats. Residents 65 and over are entitled to a free license.

Be advised, there’s an “or” built into the law. Prior to this legislation, it was generally accepted that where an angler fished, i.e. inland or marine districts, not what he or she caught, determined the need for a license. The first road bridge from LIS is considered the line of demarcation. For example, Route One and I-95 or railroad bridges are not considered.

The “or” states that any angler “landing marine fish in Connecticut regardless of where taken” now needs a marine fishing license. In short, those fishing in the upper Thames, Connecticut River, or Housey and including all of the minor tidal rivers now need a marine fishing license as well as a freshwater one!

Captain Morgan’s has been selling the new marine fishing license since June 3 when it was signed into law. The last day one can fish Connecticut marine waters or catch marine fish without this license is Sunday, June 14, Flag Day—how appropriate!

How will this affect the Connecticut fishing industry? Probably not much, considering most coastal states in the country have required marine licenses for years and fishing remains strong. Although mandated by statute, hopefully the funds collected from license sales will find their way back into conservation and not jeopardize any federal funding linked to our state. That would cause concern and would most likely have a negative impact.

On the Water

An east/northeast blow greeted anglers as the fishing weekend approached but eased off just in time. Stiff winds and choppy seas hindered bait gathering and just about drained the tidal rivers as tides affected by the full moon peaked. A new hatch of sealife, however, was flushed downriver where mainly striped bass staged to feed.

As seas calmed and winds reduced to breezes shifting more westerly, anglers hit the reefs and shoals. Offshore structure creating rip lines produced linesiders in excess of 40 pounds while certain harbors acted as magnets for similarly heavy “cows.” Many anglers that fished from shore scored on plugs and soft plastics while on the reefs it was mainly eels and menhaden. Talk seemed to center more around Connecticut’s new marine fishing license than on the catch of the day.

There was steady action throughout with many light tackle and fly rodders enjoying multiple catches. Bluefish in the low- to mid-teens with broad shoulders and substantial girths began shearing lines and offering good mid-day fishing. Along with stripers, the blues worked Six Mile, Inner/Outer Southwest, Kimberly, Faulkner’s Island, Goose, and into the Beacon and New Haven Harbor.

Scup turned on briefly with catches of small- to medium-size fish around Kimberly, Faulkner’s, and Charles. In deeper water, several anglers ran into thick schools of spiny dogfish interrupting their deep-water reef fishing.

Although more anglers are shifting gears from fresh to saltwater, rivers, lakes, and ponds are being fished hard. Largemouth/smallmouth bass are biting, pike are easing but still being caught, panfish are plentiful, and trout are being trolled for in the deeper water—dries and small streamers in the streams. Try the early morning and late evening for a good topwater bass bite!

Note: Still having a hard time obtaining a sportsman license? Captain Morgan’s continues to issue all 2009 fishing, hunting, trapping licenses/permits (rifle, shotgun, archery, muzzle loader, HIP, Connecticut duck stamps, etc.) including shellfish licenses for Guilford and Madison, and now Connecticut’s new salt-water license.

Whenever and wherever fishing, think Captain Morgan’s for all things fishy including the latest gear, bait, flies/flyfishing, rod/reel repair, clam/crabbing supplies, and licenses/permits. Swing by the shop (203-245-8665) open seven days located at 21 Boston Post Road, Madison. Until next time from your Connecticut shoreline’s full-service fishing outfitter where we don't make the fisherman, we make the fisherman better...

Tight Lines,
Captain Morgan

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:54 am

Purchased mine today on-line, actually went pretty smoothly.

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 pm

I wont buy one. I did buy a clamming permit though for the day, I will probably get a seasons pass. I'm tired of everyones hands in my pockets. I'd love to do a rant about how the Democrats like to raise taxes, and who they are beholden to but this is not the place.

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Anglers angered over proposed licenses
Posted on 06/14/2009

NORWALK

By CHASE WRIGHT

Hour Staff Writer

Rick Mola was in the middle of issuing yet another fishing license for a local saltwater angler when he got an urgent letter from the state Department of Environmental Protection telling him to stop.

Mola, owner of Fisherman's World -- a bait-and-tackle shop off Liberty Square -- said he issued a total of 132 marine licenses before Gov. M. Jodi Rell ordered the process halted Friday afternoon.

"We have every reason to believe that this Bill will be signed into law by the governor" and the process will go into full effect at that time, the notice read.

A new bill, which lawmakers passed June 2, would make it mandatory for Connecticut anglers to purchase a $10 saltwater fishing license. Non-residents would pay $15 for the license.

On a beautiful Sunday afternoon, more than a dozen fishing enthusiasts packed the pier at Calf Pasture Beach to cast off lines into Long Island Sound.

A Norwalk resident for three years, Jon (last name not given) carried a 10-foot pole and a tackle box full of tools as he left the pier Sunday. He said he had heard from a friend that the bill had been repealed and was relieved because the proposed fee "would be just another burden on Connecticut fishermen."

Coastal access is limited as it is and anglers are already faced with hefty fees for non-resident parking, travel, bait and equipment, he said.

"Now they want me to buy a saltwater license too -- it's a bit much," he said.

Other anglers fishing off Norwalk docks said they wouldn't pay for a license even if Rell's approval made it mandatory.

"It's become a $200 expense to go fishing for the day," said Fred Allock.

The Danbury resident explained his grievances over high fishing fees and all the stringent requirements as he baited a 50-cent sand worm to his hook.

"Bait alone is expensive. I pay $6 a dozen for these sand worms," said Allock.

A long-time angler, Jon Sundstrum, said that over the years, his favorite pastime has faced new costs and requirements, which have changed it for the worse.

He blamed the commercial ships that sweep the sea of fish, and the stringent recreational fishing rules for pulling him out of Connecticut's waters.

"I came to Connecticut in 1970. Back then, this place would have been filled with flounder," said Sundstrum, of the pier off Calf Pasture.

He said the issue isn't the cost of the saltwater license. "You could charge $50 for a license and people would pay it, but only if there were fish to catch."

Sundstrum has since moved to Virginia and was only at Calf Pasture Sunday to help teach his four-year-old grandson Ian how to reel in a big one.

But there were no bites.

"I told him -- we're not catching anything here," said Sundstrum, as he watched his son-in-law sling a line through the air. "He'll have to come to Virginia to catch his first fish."

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 am

big,
first i have heard about the dep stopping sale of licenses???????????????what;s up ?just the beginning of another well rungovernment operation or what.they already got my cash.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:33 am

So I have a $10 collectors item RESIDENT MARINE FISHING LICENSE

I copied the following from the CT Dep's website just now 6-15-09 9:20 AM

Marine Fishing Licenses

Recreational
Fishing licenses are not required for anyone in the marine district except for A) persons taking lobsters for their own use by 10 pots or SCUBA and B) persons taking menhaden with a single gill net not more than 60 feet in length, for personal use, from marine waters only. Licenses are issued on a calendar year basis, expire December 31st, and are non-transferable

So what's the deal?????????

Last edited by aqualung on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 am

I CHECKED THE D.E.P. WEEKLY REPORT AND IT HAS ANOTICE THAT WE DO INDEED NEED THE LICENSE BUT ALSO WAS NOT TO PRECISE ON THE TIMING [JUST ANOTHER GOVERNMENT CLUSTER F..K I WOULD IMAGINE]IN A BIG HURRY TO GET YOUR MONEY

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links