skipperj9, his father and I are hoping to do some squid fishing tomorrow night on the Francis Fleet. Anyone interested in joining us on the trip?? Cost is $40 from 7Pm till 1AM Post up or message me.
Here is there latest report from this past weekend.

Capt. Ray reported another grand slam squid trip last night. The sizes on these squid is just remarkable! The first two and a half hours featured non stop action with double and triple headers commonplace and by 11 pm most anglers had all the squid they wanted. The rest of the night showcased a more relaxed pick of super size tubes flying over the rails and into the pails. Kudos to superior squid angler Connie Tu who filled nearly two five gallon pails herself. A black fish estimated at 10 lbs was lost at the surface after trying to eat a squid jig and a few nice sea bass went for the squid jigs as well. Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night's featured the best squid fishing of the year for quantity and the quality of the squid throughout this season has been just uncanny. We look forward to more of this excellent squid fishing. Next squid trip will set sail at 7pm Thursday evening aboard the Gail Frances.

This will be my first experience squid fishing, any tips, suggestions or advice is more than welcome.

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Finally went on my first squid trip on 5-28-09
Having never fished for squid before it was an enjoyable learning experience.
One of the most obvious problems I had was my rod & reel set-up it was too heavy and awkward, and not sensitive enough.
Jig color played another important roll, Pink appears to be the hot color.
Anyway I caught a few squid, lost probably twice as many as I caught.
I hope to do much better on my next trip which may be very soon before it's over this year.

A shot of one side of the boat

A shot of the basic rod and reel set ups used and you can see the way the jigs are rigged and spaced apart

My rather skimpy catch of squid, many anglers did much better than myself

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Do you eat them or use them for bait?

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Use them for both, bait and Calamari glassman

You can take a pack or two out of the freezer and bring them for a Fluke or Porgie trip. Or fry them up for snack or appetizer

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 pm

I wish I saw this post earlier, I have a bunch of squid jigs. I usually catch them at Block Island and use them for bait or in fine Italian dishes!

Posted Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:36 pm

C'mon Jeepin...pay attention, I could have used your help bud.
I think after 3 trips I have a clue now Confused

Posted Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Help Lung? I too need help as I've never gotton a stripper as big as your pic and there are bigger! I've only been on this site 2 months and cant sit and read everything that is written every day. Between work and divorse I'm still lucky I have a boat!

Posted Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Next year you will have to join us jeepin, this years squid fishing appears to be just about over.
Divorce...UGHHHH it's amazing how you can be raped by the judicial system while the judges and attorneys are all smiles.
You're damn right your lucky you still have your boat, congrats!

Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links