Pass Along the Gift of Fishing
By
Capt. Bob Salerno

Stop a minute and think back to the first time you went fishing and who took you. Most of us were introduced to the sport by our fathers or a close relative. I was fortunate to have a father that enjoyed the sport and took the time to teach me how to fish. Over my adult years I’ve come to appreciate this priceless gift. My repayment was to introduce my children to the outdoors and the joys of fishing.
There are three important rules to keep in mind when introducing a child to the sport of fishing; it should be fun, it should be fun, it should be fun. Too often anglers are so serious that they turn a child off. The experience should be easy and simple if it’s going to be fun. As soon as possible, the child should experience the delight of success by catching a fish.
Standard advice for taking a child on their first outing is to take them to a small pond to catch perch or sunfish. Once a youngster experiences the thrill of catching a fish, the fun itself becomes strong encouragement to continue the sport. Even the smallest fish caught is a prize to a child. The same holds true when youngsters learn saltwater fishing. Take them to an area where there’s a high probability of success. In the Northeast, hickory shad, schoolie stripers and snapper bluefish are easy targets for the beginner.
A child’s first fishing trip should take place a short drive from home or while on vacation. Choose a day that has comfortable temperatures and light wind. Pack a lunch or a snack and bring along a lawn chair or folding campstool. Avoid buggy areas, steep banks and locations that require a long walk back to the car or restroom. Provide equipment that matches the child’s physical capabilities. There are several inexpensive outfits on the market specifically designed for children of various ages. There are even bobbers that resemble cartoon characters familiar to most children. Don't forget a camera.
When teaching the skills of fishing, start out with short instruction and practice sessions. Remember, the younger the child, the shorter his or her attention span. The best place to teach and practice casting is the backyard. Make a game out of it by trying to cast to targets placed around the lawn. Cardboard cutouts of fish that the child has colored will enhance the fun. Move things along slowly and have a wealth of patience. When it all comes together you’ll have the best fishing partner you could want.
Out on the water if the child begins to loose interest try curbing their boredom by talking to them about nature and the surroundings. Skipping stones or just throwing rocks in the water is not always a bad thing as long as other anglers are not disturbed. When the child asks to go home, pack up and leave, don’t make the experience an unpleasant memory. A stop for an ice cream cone or other treat will solidify the experience.
As children get older they will want their own equipment and may occasionally want to use yours. Teach them to care for the equipment and let them help to prepare for trips and clean up afterwards. This makes kids feel accepted and active participants in the experience.
There are many good videos, books and magazines that can be used to encourage a child’s interest in fishing. Even fishing shows on television can provide entertainment and information when viewed with your child. There are also many local sportsman's organizations and educational programs that promote and teach fishing to children. The 4-H Youth Fishing project and the American Sportfishing Association provide clinics to help children learn about the wonders of fishing. The Coastal Conservation Association’s Tide program, which teaches children about the joys of saltwater fishing, conservation, and marine life. National Fishing Week occurs in June, and most states including Connecticut, hold free instructional clinics to encourage youths to participate in fishing.
A child who fishes with you will learn more than just techniques. Since kids tend to emulate adult role models, they’ll learn about catch and release ethic, fishing etiquette and the rewards of the outdoor experience even on those days when they don’t catch a fish.
There are few things in life that are as rewarding as spending time with a child, especially if it involves an adventure in fishing. It is an experience to be shared and a gift they will value for the rest of their lives. Good luck and good fishing!

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks Bob

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Nice write up Bob.

Posted Thu May 28, 2009 1:41 am

Bob that was perfect and well written, your kids are lucky to have you. I remember what my father and grand father taught me and now I pass on my knowledge to a new generation. This coming weekend, I'm helping in a childrens fishing tournament. I will have my tape measure and camera and help the kids enter their prize fish. it's all catch and release too and that teaches conservation, even if it is a Bluegill! OMG, I;m getting Vaclempt... talk amoungst your selves, LOL!

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links