Fishing Column: Removed that fishy smellBy Martin Armstrong
Special Correspondent
Posted: 05/29/2009 10:07:00 PM EDT
Updated: 05/29/2009 11:18:25 PM EDT

Evidence that you have been fishing, at least caught a fish, is hard to hide.

There is one "dead cert" giveaway that tells the entire world that you have been fishing. That's the smell!

Yup, the smell!

That fishy smell is a dead giveaway you have been fishing. And, while to an angler, smelling like fish can be a badge of sorts for bragging rights in the right scenario, there are certainly other times when the aroma is less than desirable. But thanks to a brand new product called FishHands„¢, fishermen can now have the best of both worlds.

FishHands Wipes are fortified with a unique fragrance free Odor No More„¢ chemical formulation developed specifically to neutralize fish, shellfish and many other hard to remove and lingering organic odors.

Use is simple, requiring only a thorough wiping of hands with the disposable towelletes after the handling of fish in the field or in the kitchen.

By the time skin has air-dried, the product's unique fragrance-free formula has done its part to leave hands smelling fresh and clean.

"I'll admit it, for years I've wiped my hands on my jeans after every fish," said Bill Dance, host of the Bill Dance Outdoors television show and arguably America's best-known angler. "But now, using FishHands Wipes instead of my pants allows me to get two or three fishing days out of the same pair of jeans, plus keeps my cheese crackers from tasting like sardines. Even my wife has noticed

the difference when I return from fishing."

"We're pleased to have Bill Dance using and endorsing FishHands on and off the TV set," said Jack Charvat, Dutch Creek Outdoor Authentic Products, makers of the wipes. "He's definitely a walking testimonial for us, and we've watched him go beyond just the boat dock to turn many a skeptic into believers, including shrimp and lobster eaters in restaurants, and even the chefs themselves."

FishHands Wipes are designed as odor removers and not hand cleaners, but the treated towelettes can be used for emergency clean up of spills and other messes on boat seats, tables, kids' faces, etc. and keeping your cheese crackers tasting like cheese and not like fish.

FishHands Wipes are packaged in a small and convenient flip-top plastic container that fits easily into tackle boxes, glove boxes and consoles.

There are 30 moist towelettes on a roll for tear-away one-at-a-time-use through the dispenser's top. A package of FishHands retails for around $5.99 each.

Dutch Creek Outdoor Authentic Products also makes GasolineHands„¢ Wipes, another specially formulated Odor No More product, but one that helps remove odors as strong as gasoline.

Dutch Creek Outdoor Authentic Products is a privately owned company headquartered in Tulsa, Okla.

It is a multi-brand supplier of innovative, high-quality products developed to serve real solutions for avid outdoor enthusiasts.

The company markets its Air Quencher„¢, GasolineHands„¢ and FishHands„¢ products worldwide through all distribution channels.

FishHands is not yet widely distributed but is currently sold at Academy, Bass Pro and Cabela's. For more information about FishHands, GasolineHands and other Dutch Creek Outdoor Authentic Products, visit www.DutchCreekBrands.com.

q

Fishing exploded last week. Striped bass, bluefish and porgies are all supplying lots of action. And, the first weakfish of the season was reported as was a black sea bass.

My dream is to be able to fish someday in the far far distant future with my great grandchildren.

For Emery Molnar that distant future is now. Last week the 96-year-old Emery fished with his great grandson and his great great grandson.

Using Cape Cod spinners they caught a few striped bass including a 28.50 and a 29.50-incher. They were fishing near the Stamford Breakwater. Unfortunately, I do not know the names of the younger Molnars.

Pete Henderson, Scott Benice and Sean Elumba teamed up for some good fishing at the Stratford Shoals. Fishing the incoming tide, they caught six striped bass including one that tipped the scales at 30-pounds. All of the fish were taken using bunker chunks for bait.

Hank Weis of Sparky Charters caught a 37-inch striped bass using live bunker while fishing the mid-Sound waters. He also caught and released some smaller linesiders as well.

The mid-Sound waters is where Francisco Montero caught a 48-inch linesider. The fish weighed 34-pounds and was taken using chunks of bunker.

The folks at Rudy's Tackle Barn reported a couple of nice catches last week including a 40-pounder striped bass. Bill Reed reeled in the hefty cow while fishing off Mamaroneck, NY.

Also doing well at Mamaroneck were Bob Santora, Danny Didricca and Paul Zumbo. They caught several linesiders including a 42-incher and two 36-inchers.

Tom Penirtello landed a nice bass while fishing off Rye/Playland. His fish measured 46-inches in length.

Striped bass fishing remains hot at Hempstead Harbor. Joe Kovak caught several linesiders including a 40-incher there. The fish were all caught using bunker chunks.

Andy Weis boated a couple of stripers at Hempstead including a 20-pounder. Weis was also using bunker chunks for bait.

Kevin at Sportsman's Den reported that Al Shaio and A.C. Schillaz caught 24 bluefish at Hempstead Harbor. The choppers weighed between 6 and 12-pounds and were taken using poppers.

Also doing well at Hempstead Harbor was Brian Wright. Wright could do no wrong and caught several linesiders including a 39-incher using bunker chunks.

A fellow named Pete and "a couple of accomplices" caught 30 porgies while fishing off the Stamford Cows. Their largest fish weighed 2.5 pounds and was taken on a piece of clam.

Joe Horvath and his sister, Helen, also did well at the Stamford Cows. Using clams they caught 30 porgies weighing up to 2.5 pounds.

Billy Wilder went porgy fishing twice last week. The first time was with John Buton. Using sandworms they caught some porgies measuring up to 13-inches while at buoy 21. They also caught bluefish in the mid-Sound and off 32A. All of the fish were taken using sandworms.

Later in the week Billy fished with his friend Chris off Port Jefferson. They caught several small fluke and a 4.25-pound black sea bass. They were using sandworms.

Enzo Leva caught the first weakfish reported this year. While fly fishing on the Long Island side of the Sound, he boated a nice 13-pounder. Enzo was using a sand eel fly.

Elliot Sirchio, 12, caught a pair of largemouth bass and five sunfish while fishing at a private pond in North Stamford. His largest bass weighed 2.5 pounds and was taken on a night crawler.

Martin Armstrong is a member of the Fisheries Advisory Council, a lifetime member in Trout Unlimited and a member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America.

Posted Sat May 30, 2009 4:34 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links