I am moving out to Connecticut in 3 weeks and my buddies from my fishing club bought me this reel as a going away present. It seems like a really nice spinning reel.

Is this the kind of thing I use for surf-casting? I have never surf-casted, so I don't know anything about the equipment. What kid of rod do I need? I am going to live near Norwalk, so what is the best place to try surf-casting?

Also is surf-casting a high% or low% game. In other words, is it like musky fishing (fish of 1000 casts) or like perch fishing?

Thanks
Scott

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:25 am

It sounds like a nice reel. Im not familiar with Abu Garcia spinning reels however it is a high end reel. Not saying it is not a good reel however you need to take care of it. Make sure you rinse it off after you use it you dont want salt deposits in those reels, that can cause some lock up problems and trash the reel.

As far as surfcasting, it can go either way, with surfcasting its all about the timing. Sometimes you cant catch a cold, other times if schools of blues and bass are in it can be lock and load one after another until the school moves off. Usually on the beach you see the fish coming in as they chase bait to the surface and the birds are usually a tell tale sign. The fish tend to move in quick and then can move out just as quickly. Like I said, timing is everything.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks Skipper

It also looks like I put this post in the freshwater forum. My bad.

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links