Hello, Very nice site at an excellant price. Please keep up the good work. Anyway I live here in Ct. and I am new to salt water fishing. I trailer my boat from Putnam down to the east side of the Gold Star Bridge to launch. I try to catch fish (Blues and Strippers) in the Thames from Norwich to the Gold star, The Race, and south side of Fishers. Would like to meet up with someone who fishes in the same area to fish with or follow to learn this new way of life. Things are alot different fishing here in salt water than fishing in Lake Champain in Vermont. In return I can give you many pointer fishing in the Northern part of L.C. Thank You.

Posted Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 am

Hiya Rogerhey...welcome aboard.
I fish that general area also. I might suggest you check out Barn Island boat launch if you haven't checked it out already. It will put you in the eastern end of fishers island sound, closer to Napatree point, Watch hill, Sugar reef and Latimers reef, and you still can get to the South side of fishers

Posted Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Hello and thank you. My Buddy launches out of Barn Island alot also. Being a newcomer (so is he) what are the advanages of this Barn Island launch?

Posted Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 pm

I just started fishing that area again after alot of years. Very good striper grounds as well as being close to some great fluke areas if they come back. Crying or Very sad Seas are calmer there than down south. But get there early as it fills up fast. I'll be there every weekend in sept. and oct. At $16.00 a lb for striper, I need to put some in the freezer. I live in East Haven and it's worth it to me to go the extra miles. Plus it's the area Grandpa taught me how to fish. If he only knew what he started.

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:42 am

As LR stated it does get crowded, so you need to be there early if you want a parking spot, but there are two large docks to accommodate several boats at a time.
The fishing advantage are some of the reefs I mentioned. Basically you have some of the best inshore saltwater fishing close to Connecticut in that area.

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 am

rogerhey

Hello and thank you. My Buddy launches out of Barn Island alot also. Being a newcomer (so is he) what are the advanages of this Barn Island launch?

Seeing how I'm the buddy, I guess I should chime in here.

Rob, how long does it take you to get to Fishers Island? It takes my 15 to 20 minutes from Barn Island. I'm not a speeder, so it could take others less time to get there.

I guess it depends on were you want to fish. If your looking to fish Fishers and maybe Watch Hill beach, then Barn Island is the way to go. If you think you mite want to venture more west, the the Gold Star launch is best.

I just like that area as that is were my Dad had his boats, so I'm comfortable in that area.

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

[quote="aqualung"]As LR stated it does get crowded, so you need to be there early if you want a parking spot, but there are two large docks to accommodate several boats at a time.
quote]

From what I have seen, you could launch three boats at once! It dose get crowded, but it moves right along. Parking is the only real issue. I do recommend the launch though.

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm not a speeder either. It takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes (guestimating) to get to the west end of fishers. We have had this disscsion before. I'd rather spend more time on the water than that of driving over the road. But if it puts me closer to some better fishing spots I'll try it out. Didn't buy a boat to spend more time trailering than motoring hey! Laughing

Posted Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links