Had a great afternoon at the Shetucket today. I got to the river about 1:30p.m. as I was walking in I spoke with an angler who said he fished all day with no action. He fished both fly and spin. I thought it was going to be a tough afternoon. I started just above the s turn. I was changing to a lighter spinner (river was low) and saw a fish roll. On my second cast I felt light taps, I thought I was bouncing of the rocks on the bottom. As the spinner got about 10 ft. from me I saw a large salmon mouth it then turn back to deeper water. After about 20mins. and a few different spinners I hooked a large fish it was quite a battle but managed to land the fish 30". In the next 2hrs. I had alot of hits and follows and landed 1 more salmon about 22". I was getting ready to call it a day when I saw a large fish roll. I waded down stream about 50 yards and after about 5 casts hooked the fish. This one was a rocket after about 3 jumps he got my line over a rock and the 6lb. test line broke. It was a great afternoon and I can't wait to get back and try my luck again.

Posted Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:35 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip. Are there special regulations in the area you are fishing??
Congrats on some action with those nice fish, too bad about the break off, go back and hook'm again Laughing

Posted Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:49 pm

You can fish spin or fly, single hook on fly and 1 free swinging hook on spin. Weight cannot be added to your line. After December 1 you can keep 1 fish per day. Water level can change fast when dam is open but sometimes rising water get's the fish active. The Shetucket is also a trophy trout stream (2 per day).

Posted Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:32 am

i gotta say have just moved to lisbon, and i always heard about the salmon in the shetucket witch damn are you talking about scotland or greenville? its a big stretch and they stocked what 300, to me thats not good odds but look at you ... what the hell do i know thats awsome..[/i]

Posted Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:06 am

Way to go Sandflea!!! Excellent report!

Posted Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm fishing down from the Scotland Dam in Baltic. Giving it a shot with my fly rod tuesday. The salmon seem to stay in that area into early spring.

Posted Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:53 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links