Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum as well as to fly fishing for stipers in CT. I'm pretty close to the CT river and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to fish this fall to tighten up to some stripers? I've heard its good to fish the mouth of the river this time of year, but I really have no idea where to go so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

JD

Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:32 am

JD
I'm guessing you do not have access to a boat. There are a few places you can get some action from the beach for stripers, bluefish and even a shot at false albacore.
The Old Saybrook Town Beach is now open for fishing and parking. Wadingf is easy at low tide. Fish in fron of the rock pile and down at the western end of the beach where the creek empties into the sound. Good for stripers and bluefish.
Harkness State Park in Waterford can be excellent for all three speceis in the fall. A few other spots are Pleasure Beach in Waterford from the Jetty, The mouth of the Niantic River on the Waterford side below where the Mijoy docks. This spot has produced for fly anglers every season.
Also try Ocean Beach in New London along the western end. Stripers hold in the rocks and false albacore make an appearence occiasionlly. Also try Griswold Point in Old Lyme. This spot can be accessed from White Sands Beach. Fish can be found anywhere from the 1st breakwater all the way to the mouth of the CT River. Could be a long walk, but weel worht it. Every season tackle busting bluefish and keeper sized stripers are taken by fly anglers in the fall.
Note: All locations an be hit or miss, but can be productive to Thanksgiving. Good Luck...

Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 am

thanks a ton that's some great information and I'll be sure to investigate it. Any suggestions on flies other than the standard clousers and deceivers. I haven't really done too much extensive research on what kind of baitfish gather there, but I'm assuming shad and menhanden patterns are good. If you have any specific patterns you like to use that would be awesome. Thanks again for the great info!

Best,

JD

Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 am

Hi Everyone,
Like JD I'm new to CT Fish Finder but I'm really looking forward to the Fall Striper run. I've caught Stripers before spin fishing from a boat and kyack but never with my fly rod. I fished today at the mouth of the Niantic River near the train tracks. The tide was really moving at a relatively fast pace and I couldn't get my fly to settle. I was using 9 wt intermediate line with a variety of fly's. I didn't get a hit over the course of 3+ hours. i have a couple questions about my approach that i was hoping someone with a little more experience could help me with.
1) I'm not sure if i should use sinking line or the intermediate?
2) I fished from 3:30 PM til 7 too early too late considering the low tide was at 10:30 ish?
3) Has the striper run really kicked into full swing? If not when does it really turn on?
4) Are there more productive place for fly fishermen that are just as easily accessible?

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I go to school in Middletown, CT and if I'm lucky I can get out once or twice a week to fish. thanks, and tight lines.

Jeff Beck

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links