Left the dock before 1st light this morning and headed to Barlett Reef. There was a slight breeze out of the east and the sea was flat. Blind casted until it was light enough to see. Diving terns signaled breaking fish along the rip line. Set up drift to intersect with swirls and splashes. After two drifts without a hit, I changed up to a smaller pattern. Next drift, I came tight to a good fish that measured about 30 inches and 11 lbs on the Boca. Over the course of the next hour, I landed two more bass with the biggest going a hair under 34 inches. Fish were blitzing on very small bait, possibly silversides or butterfish.

Once the sun was well above the horizon, the surface feeding became very sporadic and then stopped. Headed over to the Black Point rip. Did not see any birds or signs of feeding fish. Dredged the reef for a half hour and headed back to the dock.

Fly of the day was a Pugalsi style bait fish pattern. White EP fibers tied over a couple of pearl DNA strands. The dorsal is olive EP fibers. Use 3D eyes and several coats of Sally Hanzens to finish the head. The pattern is tied on a Size 1 straight shank and is no more than 1.5 inches in lenght.

Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links