Hello all.

I'd love to hook up with a fellow fish'n yaker or 2 this season in the Shoreline area (I'm in Clinton). I'm relatively new to the sport. I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 and I've fished Cedar Lake and Gardner lake a few times. I'd love to try salt water but have zero gear and experience.

I usually go out for a few hours on weekdays after the kids are on the bus. (when I'm not working).

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Hey Joe,

Fishing the salt is serious business from a kayak. No doubt about it. Do some research, safety is key. I don't want to rain on your parade but I don't think too many people fish the sound in a sit-in kayak. I'm not familiar with that model at all but it looks like a sit-in type from the pictures I was able to find. Not sure if it's sea worthy or not. The other thing is and I'm speaking of strictly where I've fished (closer to RI),proximity to deeper water is key to finding good fishing. It's a 2 mile paddle (minimum) from where I launch before I'm in fishy water. Unless you're fishing a river mouth which requires even more experience. I hope this isn't frowned upon but I'm going to recommend that you take a look at Stipersonline.com and look into the "surf talk" forum. Then click on the kayak section. There is a HUGE kayak community there from beginners to seasoned pros and there is all of the information you could ever want there about gearing up and most important safety. They'll also be more than happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. There's a few other guys on the site who have yaks and it was mentioned that a kayak outing/meet might happen in the near future.

Posted Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advise!

Posted Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Get down the shoreline (East Lyme area) on occasion. Rogers, Powers, Pattagansett. Also some smaller ponds around too.
Hopefully we can get the kayak/canoe outing going this year. Seem to be more and more people getting into paddle power.
Gonna be a while before ice is gone. Ready for the warm weather.
I don't hit the salt water. Need an ocean yak with skirt, or a sit on top like Carp's. Do hit the river on occasion.

Posted Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links