Hey again, I posted a tutorial on how to tie a hair rig and now I want to show you how to make a bait needle with which to place bait on your hair.

These can be bought online in places like www.wackerbaits.com and I prefer some of the fox ones simply for durability and such but I have met people who do not want to or cannot shop online or do not want to wait for a shipment, or a needle breaks in the field etc.

Anyway, keep the following materials on hand and you'll always be just a few moments from making a needle. So let's get started.

Step one gather the materials: For this you'll need a sewing needle long enough to at least handle 3-5 pieces of corn, pliers or cutters able to cut thin metal and scissors. Duct tape is recommended but optional as we will see in a moment.

Step two Locate the eye of the sewing needle

Then using your pliers/cutters, carefully cut one side of the eye. Be careful not to cut the entire eye off, and make sure you have something at the very end to use as a hook to grab the line.

It should look like this when your done

Step 3 The optional step of applying tape. I recommend doing so in order not to poke your finger all the time. Take a length of duct tape about 4 inches or so long and tear it in half length wise. Then place the tip of the needle just a bit inside the tape and wrap it up.

When your done, fold the tape in half a bit in preparation for the next step, will look like this kinda

Step 4 Wrap the second half of the tape around the folded part. This adds a bit of comfort and strength to the "handle" we are forming.

Tighten up the tape and walla, your done!

Now if we look at them side by side you can see how this is a very effective and simple way to reproduce a bait needle, I hope it helps!

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links