Trout Take Flight – to New Hampshire's Remote Ponds

CONCORD, N.H. -- This week, some brook trout took to the air for distribution into remote ponds in New Hampshire. Every year, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department contracts a helicopter to stock remote ponds from Sunapee to Pittsburg. During this one-day event, 48 remote ponds were stocked with brook trout fingerlings from New Hampton Hatchery, according to Fish and Game Hatcheries Supervisor Jason Smith.

The stocking of remote ponds in the back country of New Hampshire provides a unique angling opportunity for those anglers seeking a true wilderness experience. Serene, remote ponds not only produce beautiful brook trout with high catch rates, but also give the outdoor enthusiast an opportunity for wildlife viewing, hiking, camping or just simple solitude. Many of these remote ponds are located off popular hiking trails. Anglers generally can backpack a float tube and waders, or simply wade from shore. As with any hiking excursion, please follow hiking safety guidelines.

When these fish leave the hatchery to be stocked, they are approximately 2-2.5 inches long. They will grow throughout the summer on natural forage and generally be 5-7 inches by April of the following spring. The fish that survive for second year will generally reach 12-14 inches, depending on the water body. But don’t let the size of these ponds fool you. Many of our remote ponds have good forage with mayfly and caddis hatches, crayfish, and leeches and have the potential to produce “trophy size” brook trout.

"I have personally seen brook trout caught in excess of 2 pounds," says Smith. "Fishing one of these remote ponds is truly a great experience and one that I have enjoyed since I began to fly-fish as a teen."

A few of these remote ponds are designated as “fly fishing only,” so be sure to check the regulations prior to your trip. For the list of remote ponds that are stocked, check the Fish and Game website at www.fishnh.com/Fishing/trout_remote.htm. The aerial trout stocking has been made possible through fishing license sales and with assistance from the Wildlife Heritage Foundation of New Hampshire.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links