Wednesday afternoon I got to my honey hole at Seaside Park right as the tide hit dead low. Low was scheduled for 1:57. Waded out there and started off by throwing a stainless steel blue mullet SSP-12.

First cast out set the hook but lost it. Only had 1 other explosion so I switched over to an orange gold orange XRW-13, which had stripers going crazy, as if they were looking for something with plenty of noise while going steady on the surface.

As the tide kept coming in, I used the lure as a walk-the-dog topwater and pencil popping. Landed 4 up to 25", lost 3, and had lots of explosions.

Once the tide had gotten too high to be out there and north winds had gotten gusty, I moved around to many other parts of Seaside but never got into anything, except for 1 explosion at Breezy Point just before gulls started going crazy. Tried numerous lures where the gulls were but never got a single hit or follower and never saw any swirls or splashes. Cormorants and ospreys didn't show up.

My final stop was Fayerweather Island as sunset got closer. Bunker schools would occasionally go by and set the hook twice with the SSP-12, but lost both.

Winds had finally diminished, it was sunset, and wasn't having much luck anymore so I started heading back to shore until I saw thick pods of bunker acting suspiciously. Casted the SSP-12 and jerking it more often, resulting in 3 explosions and ending the night with a 35" keeper weighing 16 pounds 13 ounces.

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links