I'm new to the area and I'm struggling a bit with the area regs. Some work acquaintances told me that the Trout Management areas listed in the Angler's Guide are open year-round. During some nice weather afternoons I've stopped by some of those areas and never seen another fisherman on the water.

Just south of the Glastonbury area, there's a small stream called Roaring Brook. In the Angler's Guide it's listed as a TMA Class 3, but it doesn't specifically say that there is no closed season. I'm a catch and release fly fisherman anyway, but I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

Can someone help me decipher these regs? Or maybe you can advise specific locations that are definitely available for fishing now?

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:26 am

TMA's are open year-round to catch and release fishing only.

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm

During some nice weather afternoons I've stopped by some of those areas and never seen another fisherman on the water.

Most of CT has no idea that TMAs are open year round. I always have people driving by and yelling at me that the season is closed. I just wave and enjoy the lack of other anglers. As Carp said, they are open year round. Some area are limited to fly or single free swinging hook only, and listed as such by the DEP. I don't know much about east of the River, but the west branch of the Farmington from Collinsville north produces all year long. Good luck.

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:03 pm

i also find a lot of people who dont know the regs and love to honk and tell me how jacked up i am. I have the dep on speed dial now, and if i want to fish a spot, and i am not sure i call. Better to be safe than face a ticket...

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

Can you pass along that speed dial number to the DEP?

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

860-424-3000

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links