Below is an email I received this morning. The state wants to make it legal to receive your safe boating certificate (and other certifications) online. Speaking on just the boating aspect I feel that this is a bad idea. Fishing primarily from a kayak I experience first hand almost every trip out the amount of people on the water who operate their vessels unsafely and from my point of view like they have no idea what they are doing out there. My personal feeling is that there should be more required of a would be operator than the 8 hour class I had to sit through. There are instructions on how to oppose this legislation in the attached email if you are moved to do so. The hearing date is Friday 03-08-13 so there isn't much time.

Dear Safe Boating America Student:

Thank you for taking one of our "Safe Boating America" boating courses in the past several years. I hope that you are enjoying boating as much as we do - and that we will see you and your friends and family for more courses in the near future. I am writing you right now, to enlist your help in an important project - one on which we really need for you to act quickly - like in the next two days - by Wednesday at the latest. You can help our colleagues in the boating and hunting community, who are dedicated to providing quality education, with a problem that is presenting itself in the Connecticut Legislature in Hartford.

There is a bill coming before the State Legislature, with a Public Hearing Friday morning, that will authorize on-line boating training "bundled" with the approval of on-line weapons training ("...for such persons as are applying for a license to hunt with firearms or to hunt with bow and arrow or trap for the first time and for minors ..."). Isn't that incredible? Boating education and firearms education FOR CHILDREN being linked by an approval to teach them both on-line! What are they thinking? You have to read it to believe it. You can read the draft legislation for yourself by going to www.cga.ct.gov and typing 6541 in the "number" field in the black-bar at the top of the page. Incredible.

We are NOT asking that you testify at the hearing (though you are welcome to) nor that you write a lengthy letter. WHAT WE NEED IS FOR YOU TO WRITE AN E-MAIL (short or lengthy, if you wish). Your e-mail will be placed into the record as opposing online education for boaters and hunters. PLEASE, AS YOU READ THIS, DRAFT AT LEAST A QUICK E-MAIL AND HIT THE SEND BUTTON - ITS THAT SIMPLE!!!! We are asking that write an e-mail as follows:

Your e-mail should be ADDRESSED TO: env.testimony@cga.ct.gov
It should have the following SUBJECT: Testimony for Environmental Committee - Hearing Date 3/8/13 Bill # 6541

Here are two formats you might use - see if you can do a better job - IN YOUR OWN WORDS!

====
For the Environment Committee, concerning HR Bill # 6541 - hearing on Friday March 8, 2013

I know that your committee is considering changing the law to allow a short on-line computer course to take the place of classroom-based safe boating courses. That's the change in the law that is also is going to allow on-line training for firearms. This is a really bad idea.
Please do not allow this new law to go into effect –

Example 1: (CHOOSE A COUPLE OF THE REASONS BELOW OR USE YOUR OWN - AND FILL THEM OUT IN YOUR OWN WORDS !)
- this rule change has not been well publicized so that the public can comment on it
- on line training is good for some things, but it's not good for "drivers ed" - it can't be good for "boaters ed"
- you can't ask a question of a computer
- you can learn from other students while you are at home taking the course on your laptop
- you learn about boating from boaters - this is a cold computer, not a real person
- I had to work for my "diploma" - why should the new students have it really easy and not know as much as I when boating
- how do you know that the person taking the test is really the person who took the course
- a computer can't show you how to dock a boat - or tell you what mistakes it made while it was learning - A computer cannot properly teach weapons training and safety for hunters and especially for children. This is an unsafe proposal which puts people at risk.

Example 2:
I think that this regulation change is being rushed - it is the first I heard of it. When I took my course in boating safety, I learned as much from the other students in the class, by the questions that they asked, and the interesting way that the teacher answered their questions. Some computers may be able to do this - but it doesn't sound as if this proposal will work that way.

There are lots of things to learn about boating that aren't in the book. If you are sitting at home with your PC, you just can not "hear" what the other students are asking, and what the instructor is telling them. My teacher brought some "training aids" into the class - radios, ropes, charts ... How can students learning through a computer ever "see" what boating is about?

I STRONGLY oppose changing the regulations/laws regarding Boating Safety and Hunter Safety training at this time.

Thank you -

Respectfully,
BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND YOUR ADDRESS
xxx
123 Main Street
Anytown, CT 12345

That's all you need to do - and what you do can have such a big influence on the way things come out. PLEASE DO THIS FOR THE BENEFIT OF YOUR FAMILY AND FRENDS!!! PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO THOSE YOU FEEL WOULD ALSO OPPOSE THIS NEW LEGISLATION!!!!

For any questions you might have, you can reach me at richard@safeboatingamerica.com. Don't hesitate to contact me - right through this weekend and into the beginning of the week.

If you don't mind – when you do send your e-mail - please place
information@safeboatingamerica.com
as a "cc" or "bcc" on your letter – I'll really appreciate knowing that you have helped out in this important effort and will remember your contribution!!

Best regards,
Rich

Captain Richard Werner
U.S. Coast Guard Licensed Master
National Education Director
Safe Boating America ®
www.safeboatingamerica.com
Direct (212) 629-0881

Posted Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 am

Kids are made to sit though a class and so many hours on the road behind the wheel of a car, so why not do somthing like that with a vessel? Opperating a vessel is very different than driving a car. One could argue that it's even harder. If they offer an onlile course, they should have an "on the water" road test to pass. Hell, I think they should have water tests even with a class room course. Listening to an instructor and reading a pamphelet, does NOT prepair you to operate a vessel safely. If this passes, gunna be more casualties in the neer future.

Posted Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:21 am

Wasn't all that long ago or maybe it was Surprised you didn't need any type of certificate to operate a small private vessel.

Posted Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm

In Illinois where I am from the boating activity is primarily fishing, freshwater only obviously. A very small percentage of lakes are inundated with water skiers, boogie boarders, jet skis, etc. There is no boater's license there and I've never seen the need for one. Here it seems any lake without a motor restriction is swamped with pleasure boaters of all kinds, and too crowded at the height of summer if you ask me. But I don't spend much time on those lakes anyways so it doesn't make much difference to me. My issue is with LIS, the boat traffic that must be navigated safely. I don't know how many times myself or someone I was with has almost been run over in our kayaks. A couple of seasons ago I had to rescue a buddy who was buzzed by a 30'+ vessel that came within 15 feet of him pushing a 4' bow wake. He dumped it and couldn't get back into his yak on his own as he is a large guy of 250lbs or more. The season before that we both were almost ran over by a SeaTow vessel that came up from behind us IN A NO WAKE ZONE doing over 30 knots. It's just too dangerous out there and I feel like making it easier for someone to legally run a large vessel or any vessel for that matter without at least live instruction from a qualified individual is a mistake.

Posted Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:56 pm

For those who are not so good with info highway hunting, here is a direct link to the bill:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/H/2013HB-06541-R00-HB.htm

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 am

Why don't we just give licenses to any kids who successfully master Cabela's Big Game Hunter? My son is great at Wii water skiing. Maybe I'll hand over the Gemma Rose II.

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am

My 2 cents:

Requiring a class will not accomplish the goal as there are not enough EP/GW to patrol the waters we cherish. I think those that do take the class will still operate a boat as they would anyway and the others just wont take the class but will still operate boats. It could result in more tickets and but doubtfully safer water. And who is to say that an online class is less effective than an in person class. This state is the highest taxing state in the nation (or close to it) and I would bet the in person boating class (I checked, its about $70 all said and done) is more expensive than an online course. Is saving a few dollars better than saving a life, no. Is making the class available online mean that more people might actually take the course, I believe yes.

The fact that you cant test out of these courses to me seems unfair. I've operated a boat for a number of years in states that dont require the course and I do so very safely. Yes, I have seen a number of unsafe boaters on the water but I don't believe any course will change that. Heck, we place all kinds of restrictions on driving but yet, there are reckless drivers all over the place.

Carp, not bagging on you but the following logic does not make sense,

"In Illinois where I am from the boating activity is primarily fishing, freshwater only obviously. A very small percentage of lakes are inundated with water skiers, boogie boarders, jet skis, etc. There is no boater's license there and I've never seen the need for one."

This is probably a prime example of small sample size. I have a hard time believing that Illinois boaters are any better than CT boaters. Maybe from your experiences it seems that way. Then you go on to say "But I don't spend much time on those lakes anyways so it doesn't make much difference to me". So how do you know if its that bad anyway. As for kayakers, I totally get it. I've seen a few people act like idiots around you guys. But I've also seen a few kayakers wander to places they should never be without lifevest, with children, etc. It goes both ways. And if you cant get back into a kayak if you fall out... dont be in a kayak! But once again, creating a law that forces everyone to take more boating classes wont work unless you hire more game wardens. In this day and age, the first place states cut budgets from is, yep, fish and wildlife. More GW are not on the way.

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm

"Carp, not bagging on you but the following logic does not make sense,

"In Illinois where I am from the boating activity is primarily fishing, freshwater only obviously. A very small percentage of lakes are inundated with water skiers, boogie boarders, jet skis, etc. There is no boater's license there and I've never seen the need for one.""

What don't you understand? I'm saying the lakes in CT are crowded. You disagree?

"This is probably a prime example of small sample size. I have a hard time believing that Illinois boaters are any better than CT boaters. Maybe from your experiences it seems that way. Then you go on to say "But I don't spend much time on those lakes anyways so it doesn't make much difference to me". So how do you know if its that bad anyway."

Never said Illinois boaters were better, said they have more room to operate. I don't spend much time on lakes here ANYMORE, at least not between Memorial Day and Labor Day . Until I moved here I've never seen or heard of fifty boats water skiing or tubing in a counter-clockwise circle on a 100 acre lake. Ridiculous.

"As for kayakers, I totally get it. I've seen a few people act like idiots around you guys. But I've also seen a few kayakers wander to places they should never be without lifevest, with children, etc. It goes both ways. And if you cant get back into a kayak if you fall out... dont be in a kayak! But once again, creating a law that forces everyone to take more boating classes wont work unless you hire more game wardens. In this day and age, the first place states cut budgets from is, yep, fish and wildlife. More GW are not on the way."

There's idiots in kayaks, there's idiots in boats, more often than not there are idiots standing at the bottom of the ramp chewing my ear off when all I want to do is pack up my stuff and go home telling me how I ought to be fishing. This issue has NOTHING to do with game wardens. It has everything to do with knowledge, training and making it a little more involved in being able to operate a vessel legally so every weekend warrior who has aspirations of owning a boat doesn't go out and buy one because he can afford it. MAYBE if more was involved in getting a boating certificate then eventually we would have a higher percentage of boaters on the water who take it seriously? The average state approved motorcycle course is 12-18 hours. If you screw around on a motorcycle you kill yourself and maybe one passenger. Boating accidents have the potential for more casualties. Shouldn't boating require at least the amount of instruction required to ride a bike?

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 am

This is an interesting proposal from the state. As you know Carp and some others, I'm new to the boating and fishing scene. Since last year was my first on a small craft, there was a LOT of real life experience not discussed in class. The fact that this state has a variety of boating topographies being OCEANS, large rivers and lakes does pose higher responsibilities then other states in my opinion.

I think if the state is going to do anything, they need a separate chapter on "Ocean navigation- "Winds and tides- how they affect you and others." "Wake effects (to and on small crafts.")

The instructors do a lot of talking about life jacket safety, water temps and of course alcohol consumption. But, I think next up is having a commercial vessel steam by your ass at 30 knots with your back to it while tending to your gear....or even a 19 footer doing the same...It's certainly enough to bounce anyone off guard out of their boat or small craft.

Some people last year were absolutely respectful and a pleasure to be around. And there is always the occasional cock, most often in my cases older gents with the "pirate" mentality. "If you can't handle my wake, you shouldn't be here." That is the feeling I got from many as I stared to make eye contact. I memorized a few faces and luckily found none later at the parking lot.

At any rate, I think forcing one to give up an eight hour period of their "off" time to sit in a class room for an entire spring Saturday means someone is making a sacrifice and taking it to another level of "respect." It's kind of a big deal...when everyone has to show up on time, early in the morning and there is an instructor with curriculum. I found people in general to be very nervous and I think the reason for it was because the entire world has changed to a more convenient form of education over the Internet. It's become "impersonal" and disconnected." In a way it was like changing from business casual back to shirt and tie on a Saturday.

Off topic, I have to say, if it were possible for me to earn my pilots license over the Internet, well s***, it must be safe and damn, convenient too. I guess it's not so tough. I might buy into that, and study online, only to find myself caught in some mountains in a down draft I couldn't pull out of because I had no clue about what danger I placed myself in.

At any rate, I think boating has much more potential for fatalities and accidents then driving. I think the students should know this, appreciate it and take it seriously. I agree with your point and I'll draft something up. I think no matter what, there will always be douche bags that have a vessel and just don't think about how their actions might affect others..

And of course we need to legislate a law to BAN these people for loitering a the docks-------!

"More often than not there are idiots standing at the bottom of the ramp chewing my ear off when all I want to do is pack up my stuff and go home telling me how I ought to be fishing. "
Very Happy

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Lets just say what it is really about. Online courses = more cash in the coffers.
I've seen dumb asses hauling ass in their boats coming under the bridge into Wethersfield Cove. Not a clue as to what a "No Wake Zone" means.
I took my safe boaters course, and there were people who had to work as a group to take their so called "test". Hope I never see them on the water. If I do, they'll probably be up on the rocks crying over a trashed boat and a dead passenger.
Doing this on line will be even worse.

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 pm

mac636

Lets just say what it is really about. Online courses = more cash in the coffers. .

I will have to say I agree with this completely!!! Think boat safety should not be given on line what about CPR. There are ways to do things correctly if the people want the system to be effective. The education can be done on line. How you learn what is needed is not important at all. The way I would propose the system would work is
1. take online course and print out cert of completion.
2. Take test monitored like at DMV
3. Practical on the water test.

Steps 1 and 2 could be completed at any time, and would be a great tool to prepare people during the winter when they have a lot of off time and the crappy snow is everywhere. When step 2 is complete you will be issued a 6 month temp license while waiting for the on the water test. There could be exemptions that would make things a lot easier. Maybe a 10hp and less limit and step 3 not required, or a size limit. Hard to cover every angle, I just cannot see a 10' johnboat with 10 hp or less causing major issues. Arm someone with a 225 hp bass boat and a case of beer and the might as well be pointing a gun at your head. More power and larger boats are more dangerous to others. I don't care if you take yourself out, but if your being stupid and hurt some ones kid or take out an entire family your in hot water. Very small craft don't have the ratings to carry many passengers and that in my view is a very large responsibility.
One size fits all never works, but we could have a very effective program if we cared to...

Posted Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm still hoping for the online gynecology course!!!!

Posted Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah...here's my problem with that...After 30 odd years of successful an safe bassboat operation, I was required to take a boating course to go to Canada. A week of 2 hours every evening got me a pretty extensive boating education. Now to fish in Connecticut I have to pay again for a classroom course to cover the same material because the state doesn't honor the online courses that so many other states do. If this change passes will someone refund my money? I hope that's not your kayak that passes between me and the shoreline I'm fishing.

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 am

grampa1114

I hope that's not your kayak that passes between me and the shoreline I'm fishing.

Why? What if I'm fishing the same shoreline?

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

Then use a little common sense etiquette and go around, please.

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:08 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links