Damn Chicken Killer, this afternoon I was looking out my back window and right before my eyes I see this hawk come in low using my shed as cover and banging a right turn right into my chicken pen.
BAM hawk has a chicken, I open the window and holler (a lot of good that's gonna do) then I rush out the back deck and down the stairs and see the hawk back in the corner of the pen freaked out as I approached, it was hopping around and not going anywhere, I walk into the pen and confront the little bastard face to face, as I get closer the hawk spreads it's wings in a defensive posture, apparently trying to make itself look bigger I guess. Here I am face to face with this hawk 3 feet in front of me and wondering why it did not just fly away, I thought maybe it broke a wing on the way in or something.
I'm standing there thinking I really should get some pictures of this hawk, out of the pen I go, into the house grab the camera and back into the pen, the hawk was still there. I took a few pictures and backed out of the pen and figured that hawks can't really fly straight up, they need a little area to get air born, so I walk around and approach the hawk from the back side of the fence and off it went.
This damn bird killed a chicken of mine I had for a few years a couple weeks ago, and I really contemplated killing this thing as I was protecting myself of course Wink
Staring at bird thing face to face I couldn't bring myself to the task, I must be getting soft in my old age in more ways than one.
It appears at this point anyways I managed to save the chicken that was attacked, she was in the coop in a corner, I flushed her out she was bleeding but not terribly so I think she will make it since she was out a little later in the day scratching for food.
A few pictures of the criminal.

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

People next door to me put a chicken wire top shaped like a dome to enclose their chickens just to prevent this type of hit and run attack. Saw a hawk in the tree directly above a few weeks ago. So near, but yet so far away. You musta been running pretty fast to get there in time to save that chicken. Hawks usually kill em pretty quick.

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:47 pm

mac636

People next door to me put a chicken wire top shaped like a dome to enclose their chickens just to prevent this type of hit and run attack. Saw a hawk in the tree directly above a few weeks ago. So near, but yet so far away. You musta been running pretty fast to get there in time to save that chicken. Hawks usually kill em pretty quick.

Nice save there Lung.....didnt know you could move that fast.

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 am

tbob55

Nice save there Lung.....didnt know you could move that fast.

Why thank you, however....you sir might have known how fast I truly am had you not chickened out of the GREAT ICE RACE of 2010

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:19 am

Well done. Glad you saved your chick in time.

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:34 pm

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII am a chicken haaaaaaaaaaaawk! Very Happy....................surprised that bird didn't open a can of whoop azz on you lung! Wink

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm

carp13

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII am a chicken haaaaaaaaaaaawk! Very Happy....................surprised that bird didn't open a can of whoop azz on you lung! Wink

If Mr Hawk chose to go that route, there would have been no picture number 4 of him in a tree after our little encounter Very Happy

Posted Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 am

What a beautiful bird... Glad you are ok, but thank you so much for not killing him (pretty sure with the light coloring it is a "him"). It was a Cooper's Hawk and a pretty one at that. Like I said I am glad you are ok, but a chicken or two is a small price to pay to see that majestic bird that close and get those pics. You are a lucky man.

Last edited by dbarnes on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Great story.....I saw one take a pretty good size rabbit. Chicken is a upgrade fore sure.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 pm

dbarnes

What a beautiful bird... Glad you are ok, but thank you so much for not killing him (pretty sure with the light coloring it is a "him"). It was a Cooper's Hawk and a pretty one at that. Like I said I am glad you are ok, but a chicken or two is a small price to pay to see that majestic bird that close and get those pics. You are a lucky man.

I was pretty sure it was a red tail hawk, but what do I know.

I don't agree with that I should just feed this hawk a chicken or two...I raise the chickens, pay for feed etc. so I can get eggs from them.
I understand the hawk is just doing what comes naturally, however, there are wayyy too many squirrels, mice, moles that the hawk can feast on., leave my birds alone...LOL

On a side note, my chickens apparently have been scarred for life.
The wounded chicken made it through her injuries.
They now only come out of their coop into the pen for only very short time, and I may have given Mr Hawk a little scare too as I have not seen much of him around lately either, but I don't count on that he has given up.

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I have a mental picture of that hawk latching onto your azz, you high-tailing it out of that coop and I just keep laughing to myself. If that hawk comes back you better steer clear! Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm

carp13

I have a mental picture of that hawk latching onto your azz, you high-tailing it out of that coop and I just keep laughing to myself. If that hawk comes back you better steer clear! Laughing

Nah...I found under those conditions the bird was very clumsy and really had no speed. Keep in mind I did not extend my hand in friendship. Smile

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:34 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links