went out for the last week it been good so far been on two of the pond some 2 1/2 black ice other 3 inch of black ice just carry your ice pick and have a friend with you look for small pond that not so deep and wide Very Happy went out this morning did well

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:05 pm

All open water on this side of the state! Mad Be safe!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 pm

if it makes a difference, I just checked the ice on my pool, 15' round above ground, and the ice is 2-1/4 inch thick.

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:39 pm

pramsey

if it makes a difference, I just checked the ice on my pool, 15' round above ground, and the ice is 2-1/4 inch thick.

If you stock it, I'll be down this weekend! Very Happy

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:14 pm

3" of ice is NOT safe!!!!

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm

I'll be out there with 2" of ice. I won't invite anyone to stand next to me, but I'll be out there!

This week isn't looking so bad considering what we've had. 1-2 melters? I'm on the lookout for 2+" of ice within 20 minutes of East Hampton. I heard Wright's Cove (Portland) on the river has ice. Does anyone know how thick?

Pocotopaug is out, but I'll be checking the above, Bevin Pond, Pickerel Lake, Great Hill Pond, that pond off Del Reeves Road in Meso-whatever State Forest, and 1-2 basins on the river.

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:02 pm

I did some scouting after work last night and found 2" of hard, mostly clear ice on the forest pond and Great Hill. Coming off of Clark Hill I was pleasantly surprised to find Pocotopaug covered. Upon inspection, however, the thickness varied greatly and I found ice from 2" down to .25" within 100 yds. In fact, there was a pool of open water out from my dock. I think there were already a few holes drilled out of the Mallard Cove area of the lake.

The ice will suffer today a bit, and until tomorrow afternoon, but I'm finally digging my gear out of its basement corner to be ready for a weekend go.

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:45 am

A nice video on CT Outfitters facebook page of Blaine Anderson pulling a fat pike out from under the ice yesterday on "a cove" of the CT River. I may just have to try this ice fishing! Anybody fish on Hanover Pond in Meriden? I live just above it. Who knows, I may have to splurge on a tip-up or two and one of those dinky rods. Bet they'd be fun with small blues in the summer.

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

redneckangler

Anybody fish on Hanover Pond in Meriden? I live just above it.

Live right around the corner in Wlfd. Never fished hard water there, but have had some fun in the yak during summer. Beaver pond has some nice bass and pickerel as well.
Start with a few tip ups and live bait. You'll have more fun. Then move into the jigging pole when you have tip ups set.
Go with a few friends and its like tailgating. I carry a small grill and some liquid refreshments and make it a day. Good time when you have a large area covered with a few friends.

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:46 pm

went out for the last two day had been very well for me last night i fish until 7 and i was out wax worm but the best lure is lindy small black worm it was a killer will give the fish rest today and fish thurday and friday

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 am

went by halls pond friday,and there was 4 guys out.flags going up as i was going by

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:14 am

Managed to get on Winchester lake last Sunday and it was so windy the tip ups were blowing out of the holes, no ice where I usually fish, so I'm hoping there will still be ice next weekend, not looking good though, this will be the first year in about 25 years that I haven't pulled a fish from hard water!!! Crying or Very sad

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:25 pm

"There is safe ice"....in Canada. Managed to fish Chapman's Pond and the CT River yesterday afternoon - in my boat. Who'd a thunkit in February. Even got my ass chewed off because I told my wife I was just going to sneak out for an hour or so, but the fishing was steady and I stayed out till dark. Plan to fish this weekend angryjohn.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey Redneck,you get a water temp reading? Thanks.

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:32 am

37-38 degrees on the CT River at Haddam. Chapman's Pond was 38. With the weather forecasts for temps in the 40s-50s and lows in the 30s, you can put away the tip-ups. I can't wait 'til the forsythia start blooming and the stripers are in!

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links