Sea lice is a subject that comes up on "that striper site" every spring when someone posts a picture of what would be considered an early fish and someone always chimes in and asks if there are any sea lice on it. And you know,I'm not exactly sure what they look like either as every fish I've ever caught out of the river looked very clean to me. The consensus on that other site is, no sea lice=hold-over. Another thing this conversation just made me think about is that in aquarium fish a popular and effective treatment to get rid of any parasites/hitch-hikers is a dip. Freshwater fish you dip in saltwater and saltwater fish you dip in freshwater for a few minutes. The theory being and it holds true is that most organisms cannot survive in both. And anything that is riding along on your fish will die before the fish has any ill effects because the body mass is minute compared to the fish. It has to do with osmosis. So most likely by the time the stripers travel up to where we generally fish for them any sea lice would have long since died and fallen off....I think.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 am

I think the sea lice is red dots. My buddy was telling me that lots of bass are being reported to have red dots on them. He didn't remember what they were, but after reading this, I'm guessing that what it is. Sportively, if handled, a person can get sick if ingested, or something like that. In my book, a fish that don't look right, goes back in!........................not that I catch a lot to keep! Shocked Very Happy Laughing

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Over 2/3 of the migratory fish from the Chesapeake are infected with mycobacteriosis, which causes red lesions. I have seen that up here, as well as sea lice.

http://www.vims.edu/newsandevents/topstories/archives/2008/myco_mortality.php

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I've seen pictures of fish with the red marks but never caught one. And if I'm not mistaken, the mycobacteriosis that RNA spoke of is pretty nasty and is transferable to humans by handling infected fish...........But now how about somebody posting a picture of a fish so we can get this thread back on track and so I can go get me some eels for this weekend!................Also a certain Ct River guru/guide is reporting getting keepers at night. Anyone know if you can get into Wethersfield Cove all night? With the river as high as it is it's about the only place I know of that's close and safe to launch/fish from a kayak in the dark.

Posted Fri May 06, 2011 12:42 am

Gave it a shot yesterday.Launched at Wethersfield at 5 am and fished till about 10. Tried a popper early while dragging an eel and later switched to a shadrap,dragged an eel on the other rod the whole time. Fished the channel,the opening of the cove and the river north to the first bend. No takers. Lots of guys out slinging eels,some throwing plastics. No catching for anyone as far as I know. The river is receding though and the visibility wasn't terrible,approximately 2 feet. Got a temperature reading of 45 degrees but not sure how accurate that is as my transducer is mounted thru-hull on my kayak.

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 12:39 am

carp13

Got a temperature reading of 45 degrees but not sure how accurate that is as my transducer is mounted thru-hull on my kayak.

From what I have been reading, it should only be a degree or two off. I really didn't think it would work. Figured ya get the temp of the inside of the hull, but I guess the water temp cools the under side of the yak. I mounted mine inside too, but was getting no reading wile sitting. I re-goop it, so we'll see the next time I get her wet.

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 am

Finally you got out carp, what no stripes?? even after going to the mitey midgets seminar ?? At least you got out bud.
I been out several times this past week, about a half dozen fish each time but no keepers, biggest was 25"
Not sure about your water temp reading, last time I was out up north of where you are fishing water temp was 54

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am

FYI the DEP has made vouchers available for anyone wishing to keep stripers down to 22". These vouchers are free of charge and are available at DEP offices and also from C.O.s with the CT river as their beat.

The angle here is to relieve some pressure by bass on the herring run.

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 11:57 am

aqualung

Finally you got out carp, what no stripes?? even after going to the mitey midgets seminar ?? At least you got out bud.
I been out several times this past week, about a half dozen fish each time but no keepers, biggest was 25"
Not sure about your water temp reading, last time I was out up north of where you are fishing water temp was 54

Never made the seminar..................... maybe that's why I didn't catch any!

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm

protacanthopterix

FYI the DEP has made vouchers available for anyone wishing to keep stripers down to 22". These vouchers are free of charge and are available at DEP offices and also from C.O.s with the CT river as their beat.

The angle here is to relieve some pressure by bass on the herring run.

http://www.ctfishfinder.com/phpBB2/ct-river-bonus-striped-bass-progam-t4257.html

Posted Tue May 10, 2011 7:39 am

Went out today and killed em fellas! Well I don't know if we killed em but boated 5 keepers and 2 shorts. My fishin partner for the day (El Pescadero) is gonna post the report and some pictures and I'll post some pictures tomorrow as I have to get to bed. It is definitely goin down! So stay tuned there is more to come!

Posted Sun May 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Here's a couple from yesterday. Can't wait to get back out there,looks like I'm SOL till Saturday,can't get out of work!

Posted Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Way to go Carpy!....but did u go swimmin again?....those sweatpants dont look too waterproof!.....I am goin tue/wed/thurs so dont bother goin Sat/Sun.....unless u like catchin cats.

Posted Mon May 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah we went swimmin alright,the boat filled up like a bath tub in that rain!.................Now why would I catch cats on Sat/Sun?......Oh, I get it,cuz you're gonna catch em all. Rolling Eyes...............By the way,I had the lucky golf shorts on under those sweats! Very Happy

Posted Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links