Hey Redneck,you get a water temp reading? Thanks. (carp13)

37-38 degrees on the CT River at Haddam. Chapman's Pond was 38. With the weather forecasts for temps in the 40s-50s and lows in the 30s, you can put away the tip-ups. I can't wait 'til the forsythia start blooming and the stripers are in! (redneckkangler)

Thanks for the reply. As for the spring run. I think they are coming early this year,maybe as much as a month early with the warm ocean temps and all. Also we're not going to get nearly as much of the snow melt/cold water coming downstream from up north this spring. It's gonna be ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! (carp13)

From the looks of things....us guys up north here are going to have a real problem...NO WATER!!

The low river levels right now for this time of year are not something I ever remember seeing before. There is little to no snow up north, so any rain we get will be good for a couple days of muddy water.

Looks like I will be learning some new water on the river south of here this year. (aqualung)

Well, last year the southern CT River was about unfishable all spring due to the trees, houses and other things washing down in the floods, so what goes around.... I'm wondering what this crazy winter will do to the spawning runs and the migratory stripers. (redneckangler)

(I believe this thread oughta be in "Freshwater Reports" since mostly we're talking about the CT River but it was here last season so here it is.)

Last edited by carp13 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 am

Yep. You had your fun last year while I was banging my head against a wall Mr. Lung. I had 2 days of catching before the river was un-fishable while you seemed to be catching the whole time. By the time the river slowed and cleared they were gone. I'll be happy to show you a couple of spots Mr. TBob put me on a couple of seasons back as long as you leave a few fish for me.....................on second thought I think you're gonna have to agree to be blindfolded for the boat ride to the fish! Wink ........................THE STRIPERS ARE COMING! THE STRIPERS ARE COMING!

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 am

Ya know we did have a hell of a year last year I just went back and reviewed the pictures from May....DAMN!!!! if I do say so myself.

These were the first 2 fish of the run last year APRIL 6th

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

I'm new to fishing the river when do the stripers start to run?

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 pm

That's the million dollar question after this winter. Usually in April we see the stripers following the herring runs. This years warm ocean temps have kept a lot of bait in the area and it could be an early start to the season. I fish a lot of the lower river, while 'lung and others fish up north. With the warm weather, the holdover bite should be pretty hot all March. Keep checking local reports and be ready to go when the first fish start migrating in.

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Can't say for sure what a sure sign of the start is. But in my limited experience (3 years) it seems by the time all the fuzzy sh*t (cotton wood blooms I think) is floating down river it's at the tail end and almost over.

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh wait a minute. I know when it starts. It starts when Lung posts a picture of a keeper. He won't tell you WHERE he's catching but he'll be sure to let you know when he is catching! Wink

Posted Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm

I'll be getting boat ready this week if weather does what they're saying it supposed to. 60 by next Saturday. Laughing

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 am

carp13

Oh wait a minute. I know when it starts. It starts when Lung posts a picture of a keeper. He won't tell you WHERE he's catching but he'll be sure to let you know when he is catching! Wink

Of course...would it be wise for me to advertise WHERE the fish are being caught

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Forsythia in bloom in VA. Problem is, they have snow. Virginia's had more snow than we have this year, and right now they still have many of our stripers. Hoping they will soon be departing VA, MD, and DE for the LIS. Hoping for an early start to the River run.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Seeing reports of some keeper sized hold-overs and fair numbers of schoolies in the river. Anyone take a shot at em yet?

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 pm

CT River, Housy or Thames? I've heard some reports of good holdovers from the Housy. Thinking about the CT tomorrow, and I will definately be throwing some striper rigs in "just in case."

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Was over at Thayer's Marina and guy said somebody got a nice 32" Striper up by the church in Norwich last week.

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Do you guys think we'll have a freshet this year? I heard they only have about 6" of snow up north.

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm

The report I saw was from the Ct, Hartford area and North. Schoolies and a 34".

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:22 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links