We are catching larger than usual Scup, and Northern Kingfish. about 12 inches long, in LIS near the beachs in New London. We also caught several spotted croakers, and a large 3 foot Needlefish in the Niantic River. Anyone else catching spots?
We have some of them [Spots] live in our aquarium...nice fish
We have a White Mullet caught by net in Shaws Cove New London too, mixed with mummichaugs, and silversides
Andy "The Codfather"

Gulf Shrimp Co. in CT

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 am

definately interested in new fish being caught in LIS. Now, I know the above mentioned aren't "new" as in, "never heard of" in LIS, but are definately rare. In fact, I don't consider any species of Drum as "common" in LIS (although the Weakfish does show up in numbers from time to time). Just today I caught my first Weakfish ever off the pier at the Baldwin Bridge on the CT River. Can you provide any more detail on the kingfish or croakers? any special bait? technique? My Weakfish hooked up while I was jigging for Hickory shad.

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Croakers are common in teh mid-Atlantic. Never caught one since moving up here. Wonder if all this warm weather and bait staying further north has them pushing up more????

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:09 am

are taking squid tents, and seaworms off the bottom..In the aquarium, the spots are bottom feeders...they are not as aggressive as scup or Northern Kings.
Havent netted any seahorses yet, but I bet they are in shore, plenty of pipefish, and Rock Gunnels, mixed with gobies..Lady Crabs are scarce..Japanese Shore Crabs are everywhere. My son and I discovered the Asian Shore Crab "Hemigrapsus Sanguinus" about 16 years ago, at Guthrie Beach New London..Im sure the Chinese Mitten Crab will be in large numbers here soon..

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:23 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links