There is a bait post now I want to focus on the things we use to change what our basic baits smell and taste like.

Soaks are typically very watery and are what baits like boilies, maize etc are soaked in for long periods of time before use. Many times this is as simple as boiling maize after it soaks then adding Molasses and sugar to the water, Taking about 1 cup of the liquid and storing a dozen or so boilies in it refrigerated for 2 months before using them. If you use preservatives you can keep baits in soaks quite a long time.

Dips and Glugs are my personal favorite as you can have a few on hand and use them to change your bait flavor on the fly. They are typically very thick and will slowly release into the water around your hook bait. They can also be used as flavor in pack baits or method/ground mixes to further draw fish into the area.These can be very effective especially in areas you cannot chum ahead of time to use as more instant attractors.

Flavors of course can be anything from jello pkgs, to koolaide, to jam and so on and so on.

So the reason for this thread is to get some insight as to what flavors and such are working where, recipes etc. You don't have to give away all your secrets but many of the basics can be shared.

I'll get us started with a very basic Glug/Dip recipe;

You'll need a bottle of Light Karo syrup, corn starch, vegetable oil and a flavor (kool-aide works well for this one)

mix 1/2 cup Karo and 1/2 cup water in a pot. Add some oil to this ( roughly 1-2 tbsp) and slowly over medium heat bring it to a simmer then boil.

Meanwhile mix cornstarch and water until it is smooth, you'll usually need 3-5 tbsp of this mix for your dip.

When the karo/water mix reaches a boil add your flavor, about 1 pkg of kool-aid ( or 1 tbsp if you do a mix of flavors like I do)

Bring this to a boil again if it stops, stirring to fully mix the kool-aid in

slowly add 1 spoonful of the cornstarch mix at a time, stirring until each spoonful is clear before adding another.

Continue until you get a just thick syrup, and boil for 1 minute more. At this point the oil should be pretty much fully suspended in the mix.

Pour into a container and allow to cool. Then place a tight lid on and refrigerate. The dip will thicken a lot once it completely cools. This recipe will take a bit of practice to get perfect. Too much oil and its runny, too much starch and it is like jello. But even if it is too thick it is still usable. If you use your finger and mix it up a lot or once it warms a bit it loosens up. What is nice though is the ability to have a few flavors at your disposal in case one is not working.

For instance the one on the left is a Chlorella mix ( it is a dried algae used in koi foods) the right is a tutty-fruity mix I make with various Kool-aide flavors

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:21 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links