Decided to give saltwater a rest and headed up to the Farmington River Saturday morning. The river is at its lowest level all season due to the annual DEP shocking project.
Picked up 2 trout about 13 inches on nymps before switching over to dries when I saw fish chasing small caddis. Splash rises signaled caddis, but what size and flavor. After some trail and error, I picked up a nice brown on a size 18 gray elkhair. Fished continued to rise, but were very picky. Dropped down to 7X and a size 24 emerger. This proved to be the winning fly. Itr took a while to get used to fishing the tiny fly, but I did manage two more browns both about 14 inches.
Headed to another spot that was in bright sun. Floated a black beetle through a slow moving run against a busy bank. Had a good fish take the beetle on the 3rd drift, but brojke him off. Had a couple more fish slash at the beetle with no hookups.
headed home about 10:30. Fishing was probably good all day.

Posted Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 am

Nice job Bob. Small seems to be the required fly. Timing is tough and needs a little trial and error as yu found out!
See you soon.

Posted Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:17 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links