Left the dock before first light hoping to fish some locations around Fishers island in anticipation of finding false albacore. Foggy conditions changed that plan. Fished a couple of rock piles just outside Niantic Bay with limited success. Found several bait pods of peanut bunker, but no fish on them yet. Headed to Two Tree Island and heard the familar sounds of slurping and popping as I backed off the throttle. In the low light conditions, I could make out stripers cavorting on the surface. On maybe the second strip of my first cast a striper inhaled the gray white flat wing and I was quickly hooked up. Over the next hour, I hooked fish on almost every drift through the boulder field. In addition to the flat wing deveiver, fish I had fun teasing the stripers with a silver/white crease fly. The fish would crash it as it lay still between strips creating a hole in the water where the crease fly floated. Once the tide hit slack, the action stopped, but not before an all out blitz that seemed to have every striper in a 1/2 acrea area surface feeding. Thsi lasted for maybe 10 minutes before it went quiet as if somone turned off a swithch. I hungf around for 45 minutes after the tide turned, but no fish were interested in my presentations. Back to the dock by 9am. Most of the fish were between 24 and 28 inches, no big fish or albies but consistent action and a great morning.

Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:53 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links