Any advice welcome!! I've never been on the salmon river, and Im a bass guy. I have a buddy in town and monday off. We'll have two vehicles so Im looking for a place to put in (canoe) and end up in the cove. Im thinking where 151 crosses the river in Leesville. I havent fished for trout since I was in high school and while I caught a bunch of fish, I ended up paying a very large tax to the greenshirts for spinning in a fly area. I forgot how I caught them. I dont have a lot of small gear, but I do have a collection of phoebe's, spoons, mepps bucktails, dare devils... What should I use? I'll go shop this weekend. What should I bait a hook with? What hook and lure size for this area. Trout fishing is totally out of my scope. I'm a noob for sure. Thanks!!!

Posted Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I was using the technique just described by in-fisherman. I was throwing rapalas for bass and pike and took a decent trout. I think throwing multi species baits will get you the best results. Mepps in sizes 2 and 3 are great, 1 3/4-2.5 inch spoons, and smaller rapalas will be the ticket. Having some plastics for bass is great to, as the banks are fairily productive this time of year.

Posted Sat May 05, 2012 7:20 am

As John said, throw in some plastics as well. I'd grab a few Zoom Fluke or other white/pearl plastics, as there have been schoolies and pike in the main cove feeding on the herring. I've caught just about everythng in there the last few weeks.

Posted Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 am

Can you park at the old Frank Davis (Sunrise resort) property and put in there? I'm reading that the state owns that land now. Im looking to leave a car at the cove and then drop in up at 151, and paddle down.

Posted Sun May 06, 2012 11:30 am

Skunked like a big dog in the cove. Talked to a bunch of people that passed by and nobody got a nibble. Wind out of the southeast (10-15) made for a nice drift all the way to the end, and I hugged the west bank with the outgoing tide so the paddle back didnt kill me. Nice day for a tour, but a fish was my reason for being there. Pppffffttt!!!!

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm

i have only caught two fish in the cove, and most have come out of the rivers. Right out of the cove and into the salmon river is a good spot, for bass cats and one striper. In the main river next to the launch i took my one river pike, next to the posts. The other place is right up the main river to the cove on the right. There is an inlet about 400 yards or so up river on the main ct that i have grabbed some bass and a few black crappie. There might be a ton of fish in the cove but i havent got them.

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links