Most of us cary hand-held scales that use a big "gaff" on the end to hang the catch from.

I'd like to share a technique I use to weigh fish with this type of scale; I feel it is the least harmful/invasive technique to employ while in the field.

Use a net, or net-head. I rarely weigh any fish, because I rarely bring a net along. Hang the net from the scale-hook. Next, "zero" or "tier" the scale by pressing the "zero" or "tier" button. If there isn't one, turn the scale off, and then on again with the net still hanging. The scale should read "0". Unhook the net and then retrieve your fish in the net. Place the net back on the scale and the reading will be the weight of the fish.

For analog or needle scales, make note of the net's weight on the scale. Unhook the net and then retrieve your fish in the net. Place the net back on the scale and note the reading. Subract the weight of the net from this new reading and you will have the fish's weight. Release your fish with no tears, punctures, or broken bones resulting from the hook to vital places like gills, eyes, or jaws.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:54 am

That's a good idea Prot. It may take a little more work, but less invasive on the fish species your weighing. Oh by the way, thanks for tip on the "Lake House restaraunt (wrong spelling) on Pocotopaug, stopped in a few weeks back house hunting.

Thanks again

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links