Went out yesterday in the Sound in Westbrook. Went back to Long Sand Shoal. Not many boats out in the morning. We started out quickly with a small fluke. Then it got quiet. Had a few drifts with no luck. But, we went again and even though there was nothing on the fish finder my son was getting bites. He ended up pulling in a 14" fluke. Then I had a good one on the line, definitely something decent, but it was a big rake fish. Then had another decent one on the line and this was a good fluke. As I was taking this off the line, my son had a good one and he pulled in a decent fluke as well. It turns out mine was 19 1/4" Sad, but my son's was 19 3/4" Smile

We ended up having a few more good fish on the line, but they were the manta rays. We ended up with seven fish, four fluke, one keeper and one close. Had what seemed like blue fish bites on an eel. We also had three small crabs on the line. So, seven fish, keeping my son and me busy and not a thunder storm in sight, made for a good day especially this time of year.

Posted Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

Way to go Peter, what's a "rake fish" ? Puffer fish? Blow fish?

I know the Blue's are around from reports, so if your eel is chopped off most likely Blue, if not chopped off could be a lot of things.

The "manta rays" are what we call Skates around here I'm pretty sure.

At least your son got a keeper, and yours was close.
It should only get better, stay after them.

Posted Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Sea Robbins. We heard somewhere they were called Rake fish. Maybe we were thinking Skates. But, it was a big rake fish and a couple of good sized skates.

Yeah, it should get better. We have been pretty lucky with the keepers. Last year we went through a lot of shorts before we got keepers.

Thanks

Posted Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:08 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links