Took the boat out on the Sound for the first time this season. My lack of success continues with Stripers. I was out at Westbrook. There were other boats out there, but did not see too much activity.

But, caught our first fluke off of Long Sand Shoal. It was a short, but it did look like there were more fish down there. We are going back tomorrow and will see what we can do. Cool

Posted Sun May 30, 2010 9:25 am

At least you broke the ice with the short fluke Peter.
How deep were you fishing? Using spinners? Jigs? tipped with squid?
Better luck next trip

Last edited by aqualung on Sun May 30, 2010 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun May 30, 2010 11:21 am

Yep. At least we are on the board. We were between 30 - 50 ft using jigs with squid and some sand worms.

Tomorrow looks nice, so we'll see how that goes.

Posted Sun May 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Good luck tomorrow, if you come across any bunker or hickory shad strips they have worked very well for me in the past.

Last edited by aqualung on Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Bunker or shad strips for fluke? I hadn't heard that before. I will give it a shot. The bait shop I went to had fresh bunker, so I guess I could have used that?

I did go out, it was kind of windy, but not too rough. I only caught two fish, one rake fish and one fluke. But, I am not complaining. That fluke was 19 1/2" on the money ( 19 3/4" with his mouth open ).

So as my father says, if you can't be good be lucky!

Posted Mon May 31, 2010 6:52 pm

I am no fluke expert but doesnt squid with a mummy work real good too?????

Posted Mon May 31, 2010 7:09 pm

I have used that before and it works pretty well. But, my bait shop had no mummies.

Posted Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 pm

tbob55

I am no fluke expert

Nice fish Peter, congrats on the keeper

Posted Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 pm

aqualung

tbob55

I am no fluke expert

Nice fish Peter, congrats on the keeper

Boy you walked right into that one!

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 am

I cant do anything here without gettin comments from the freekin Windsor peanut gallery........guess he still upset he got SMOKED a couple weeks ago.

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 am

tbob55

I cant do anything here without gettin comments from the freekin Windsor peanut gallery

Sheeesh I agree with him and he is still whining

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:18 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links