Anyone try this? I was watching Larry Dahlberg's Hunt for big fish, and he was in some lake fly fishing for pike. I love pike and want to do more fly fishing. Sounds like a pretty cool thing to try. If I go out this weekend, I'm thinking of bringing my fly rod and giving it a whirl. I'm going to get fluorocarbon tippets, but don't know what flies to get. Any ideas?

Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Maybe something in a duckling pattern Wink

Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 pm

aqualung

Maybe something in a duckling pattern Wink

boy are you a big help! Wink

Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:58 am

I have fished on occasions for Pike on the CT River in the Hadam area. Saltwater deceiver patterns in yellow/ red, red/white and chartreuse/ white worked. Floating line, no special leader except bite tippet.
Best time of year has been May and October.

Posted Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 am

Lots of good sites for fly rodding pike out there especially the guys who strictly fly fish for them in Canada. I plan on fishing them on the fly rod this year in Lake Lillinonah. Had one on last year while fly fishing for smallies, with my two son-in-laws, but ended up losing him. Needless to say we were all impressed with the fight he gave me.
Good Luck.

Posted Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Well didn't get "big one", but did manage to land a few small Pike/pickerel last Sunday. Not real sure if they were pike or Picks. At that size, does it really matter? Very Happy Oh got a sun fish as well.

All were caught on a 2in red/white salt water deceiver fly. Hoping to get out this weekend and try again. I think I'm HOOKED on fly fishing. Just got to chose a decent 8 weight rod/reel that wont break the bank. Anyone ever use the Redington's Crosswater? A guy at Bass pro suggested that for me as I'm still learning.

Posted Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 am

I have had good luck with Yellow, Red Chartreuse combo Deceivers. Also, sliders and half and half's in the above color patterns. I would suggest a bite tippet instead of Flourocarbon.

Posted Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 am

Stopped at Bass Pro today and picked up a few steel fly leaders and a few my flies.

Posted Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 pm

went back to Bass today and walked out with a new set up. I bought a Hobbs Creek 9ft 8w made by White river "or so I think they do". It has a decent aluminum reel that they spooled with 100 yards of backing and weight forward floating 8w line. I know it's far from a "good" set up, but they felt for a novice, this was a good one to start with. Hopefully the wife and I will get out on the boat so I can give it a whirl!

Posted Wed May 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Looks like your all set for poppers with that outfit.
Check out the sites on retrieving poppers. I for one
use different methods of retrieve ,as you well know, you
can put down and spook fish with the wrong presentation.
Hey good luck to you with your fly rod adventures.

Posted Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links