Left my local coffee shop about 5:15 this morning and headed west to the Housatonic River in Cornwall. It has been about 6 years since I last fished the big river. After crossing over the bridge in Cornwall, I headed up RT 7 looking for some spots I fished in the past. Just as I was approaching a familar area, a State Policeman was in the road signaling me to stop. He told me to drive slow as a moose was walking on the road just above where we were. I had planned to pull off just a short distance further up. Parked and suited up, no moose in sight, but the cars were moving very slowly in both directions.
No sign of Bullwinkle. On the water, caddis were skipping about the surface, but after watching for 10 minutes, I did not see any surface activity. The wind was blowing drown river at a pretty good clip. I rigged up with a BH Henryville Special on the point and a Deep Sparkle Pupa above. After a half hour or so, no luck. I moved up stream a way and hooked up in a run close to the bank. The brown took the Pupa. For the next hour or so fishing was slow, only a few fish hooked. The caddis continued to emerge, but the wind pushed the bugs off the water. At about 11, I headed upstream to another spot. Two anglers were coming off the water. They said the action was steady subsurface, no dry fly activity. Continued fishing the BH and Pupa combo and picjed up a couple more browns.
After a streamside lunch, I moved downstream to the park. The wind velocity increased and after 45 minutes and no hits, I called it a day and headed home.
Hope to get back up their again soon, hopefully with no wind.

Posted Sat May 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Sorry I missed the opportunity to go with you. Lunch sounded great. Laughing

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links